Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with smoothing DC power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
It's OK- I was just being facetious. :happy:

The problem is, with so much power dissipated, the TO-220 package isn't practical. It has to be the metal type which are pricey and a pain to mount. I don't have my Motorola data books anymore or I would look up some.

Yeah, I concur about the TO-220 case- generally one of the biggest cock-ups in my opinion.:eek: There is some warnings about the TO-220 thermal aspects on the Elliot web site. (section 13): **broken link removed**

spec

Last edited:
I always liked the TO-220 as long as the power dissipation wasn't more than maybe 15W. It was convenient because I could just solder the tab down to the copper PCB and get a pretty good thermal connect.

I always liked the TO-220 as long as the power dissipation wasn't more than maybe 15W. It was convenient because I could just solder the tab down to the copper PCB and get a pretty good thermal connect.
Yes, it is great for low power applications, its just when you try to do any serious power dissipation with it that it's shortcomings surface.
spec

We used these size in transistors for Canada's 1st wind-powered Arctic ocean floating automated weather station in 1975-76. Battery packs in 1 pile in the ice flow, electronics in another,

upload_2016-4-7_6-44-15.png

Joke Caption... we need a bigger capacitor

This thread could have been answered in one answer, if you provided the much needed current measurements or expected ratings for battery, motor and charger for average and max.

My guess is the charger barely just keeps up to idle motor motor/gear load current with moderate use. I suspect the peak/average load current may be 20x bigger, but then my best guess of duty cycle of a clay pigeon motor is 2% so the overall demand might be 20*0.02 or 40% more .. thus doubling your battery capacity or charger current may be two workable solutions.

The choice is limited by your lack of given constraints for cost or availability of free solutions.

Commercial solutions would consider battery chemistry, electrolytics and pulse current rates for optimal stability and lifetime. The charger ought to be capable of supplying most of the peak current to reduce the aging of battery, while the battery smoothens the voltage. But this is a tradeoff between short term economy and long term reliability.

I would of provided the motor ratings had the rating plates been present on the motors. And of course they were missing. Thus I have had to try and get hold of a clamp Meter capable of reading DC current, which I have now done.
I should be able to take readings on Friday when I can get up the shooting ground.

There is one motor running constantly this turns the trap from left to right.

The second motor is only switched when the shooter calls for the target.the cycle of this motor lasts for no more than a few seconds at each launch.

A photo and lookup of similar size motors or equipment can offer similar results.

• In addition to adequate bulk charger, the Battery brand/model, condition, environmental temp. and preventive maintenance also affects results to make battery trouble free.
  • In general for CCA to match surge load of car starters, the ESR of the battery must be <25% of starter winding resistance to cause < 5V drop from 12.5 to 7.5V where CCA is measured at 0'C
  • Your motor DCR and battery ESR are also important. SoC of the battery also causes ESR to rise sharply so draining a battery under heavy load, increases heat rise in cells and aging effects.
  • Thus a cheap galvo battery meter with zener or LDO to give a battery SoC meter from 11 to 15V would be a good idea. Where 14V is suggested with 14.2 max for float charge and 12.5V for 100% SoC after small load without charger , 12V for 50% SoC and 11.5V for <10% SoC .
  • So using a 50uA analog meter with 11V zener is in series with small ammeter using 20k Ohms/V to Vbat or similar can be useful to monitor battery voltage. or an automotive ammeter...
  • Keeping the battery beween 12V ( 50%SoC) and 14V ( float charge voltage) and average battery current low will permit the lead acid car battery to last 5~10yrs. Otherwise much less.

Thanks ... Tony

upload_2016-4-7_8-23-48.jpeg

Last edited:
:joyful: I meant pics of your equipment and I misinterpreted the term hokey puck. I imagined you were a hockey buff, especially because of your avatar, and had built some sort of machine for propelling hockey pucks, at a goal for example, for practice. I was thinking that the puck would be going at some speed with all that power. :happy:

spec

Not sure how you associated my avatar with hockey? It's the Joker from the animated series 'The Batman' from a number of years ago. ;)

When dealing with more than a few amps the first things that pop into my head are either stud or block case type diodes not TO- anything series.

As for large heatsinks cheap, well that's what eBay or your local electronics recycler is for! ;)

Not sure how you associated my avatar with hockey? It's the Joker from the animated series 'The Batman' from a number of years ago. ;)
The Joker mask designer may have been inspired by Goalie Masks
c674aa6aa96c36e3dfd58fd1bcefd23e.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back