Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with simple 555 circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Hey guys,

I have built a 555 timer circuit, which in turn drives a TIP41C to power a flyback. https://tacashi.tripod.com/elctrncs/555sstc/555sstc.gif is the circuit, exept i swapped out the said transistor for the TIP41C equiv. The problem is the output arc is VERY weak, less than 1cm. I have 12V @ 4A input, and that gave me VERY big arcs with a 2N3055 circuit, so i dont know why it isnt doing that here. is there any changes i need to make to this circuit to accept the other transistor? I feel that the transistor isn't letting enough power through, but i have no idea how to change this. Also, apparently you can chnage the 1K and 2.2K resistors, and 10nf cap to vary the freuency of the 555, what are safe rsistances to stick with, since i dont really wanna blow anything up:D

BTW i tried 2 different flybacks, so its not my flyback. Also this is for a singing arc, so the audio goes into pin 5 of the 555 with a .1uf cap across + and -.

Your link to the circuit shows nothing. Please copy the schematic and attach it here.

a 2N3055 has a max allowed collector current of 15a.
a TIP41 has a max allowed collector current of only 6A so maybe it breaks in the circuit.

Oh woops....

Here is the circuit i made...

555sstctip.GIF

well the sound works fine, i just really need to get more power into this arc, it can barely keep itself together, and the transistor is getting very hot as it is....

No one has any idea?

The transistor will be hot if it conducts too much current for its rating.
It will also be hot and the output power will be low if the transistor does not have enough base current so it does not conduct fully.

The 50 ohm base resistor gives the transistor a base current of 180mA when the supoply is 12V. Then it conducts well when its collector current is no higher than only 1.8A.

The 555 will fry if the base resistor has its value reduced.
If the TIP41 transistor is replaced by a TIP147 darlington transistor then the circuit will work better.

Be sure to isolate the transistor with a suitable heatsink, or you will fry more than the circuit. Are you building a stun gun, electric fence or CRT/flyback tester?

witch transformer are you using? is the old one or the new black one. The new ones have an integrated diode so if you mess up the polarity you won't get anry arcs or mybee very small arcs. mybe you should try using a mosfet. but if you do you will need 15V to drive the gate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back