Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with School Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobinator

I am helping my son build an electronic detector game for science class. The game has labels on the bottom with metal posts. At the top is a picture. The idea is that a player takes a wire and touches a post at a label and then with either the other end of the wire or another wire touches the correct part of the image above (metal posts will be driven in the image).

The game has two lights – a green light that corresponds to a correct answer and a red light for a wrong answer. I have a wiring diagram for just using a green light, but I cannot figure out a solution that allows for the red light to function as well.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bob Sanders

Touching a wire on metal parts of an image to light a lightbulb is not electronics. It is simply electric.

Is it a game to prove that a player isn't blind?

Aren't you the guy with monkeys that fight? This "game" would keep them busy.

Individual LEDs are going to light when power is applied. I don't see the problem.

Attachments

• SCHOOL PROJECT.jpg
    SCHOOL PROJECT.jpg
    351.3 KB · Views: 177
Let me describe this in a little more detail:
1) this is for a cell matching game.
2) On the console, is a list of cell parts
3) On the top is a diagram of a cell
4) The player touches a lead to a name and another lead to a metal post on the image of the cell that correspond to the part
5) I only have two leds, one green and one red.

I need to build a logic circuit. The following is a simple illustration (a o represents a metal post) followed by the logic table:

o A o 1
o B o 2
o C o 3

I want the green light to illuminate if the post at A and the post at 1 are touched, i.e.,
A and 1, or
B and 2, or
C and 3

I want the red light to illuminate if the post at B and either post 2 or 3 are touched:
A and (2or3), or
B and (1or3), or
C and (1or2)

If this can be build using simple circuits that would be great; however, I have almost decided that some ttl logic will be required.

I gave it a shot and best I could come up with is a lot of resistors and several op amps to make it work. Too complicated to meet your requirement of "simple". Honestly, if I were designing this I would immediately go to use a small microcontroller like a PIC or AVR. Use a PIC with enough inputs to handle all your terminals and it becomes quite easy to make this work with a bit of programming. If this is beyond your skills you might get some help from someone on the board here.

You are correct: What you want to do is not simple. Perhaps it would be better to make it simple. Don't use the red LED, just green when the correct selection is made.

Attachments

• SCHOOL PROJECT.jpg
    SCHOOL PROJECT.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 155
You want logic...

You got logic :)

Attached a sketch for possible logic for only the green LED.
Lead 1 and Lead 2 are both leads handled by the player.
The circles between the resistors and the inverters are the pads he had to touch with the leads.

Up to you to design the gates for the red led :)
You can reuse both pads and inverted pads signal to other gates for the red led.

Still problems? Let us know... ...

Regards

Attachments

• GreenLed.pdf
    6.9 KB · Views: 153
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back