Help with resistive cartridge heater and variable control circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still trying to understand why the diac is a requirement.
It is required for zero crossing control. The heater is a pure resistive load and can be handled by a regular lamp dimmer. Your fan is an inductive load and requiers a different dimmer to run a motor like a celling fan speed controller. It is still a triac but has more stuff for inductive loads mainly a coil. Still much stuff on the web for this stuff google is your friend. Andy

I'm no expert on dimmers and speed controls, but I don't think this is the reason diacs are used. I found this on the Electronics and Radio Today site:
I found similar information on several other sites.

If you could better explain this project there may be some simple and viable solutions. For example you have a 100 watt cartridge heater element. That can be manually controlled as simply as using a common very inexpensive dimmer switch. Why buy pices and parts?

You mention a fan. If the fan speed is going to be manually controlled possibly a simple F-Stat or button thermostat could be employed to turn a fan on with temperature rise. Unless you absolutely need variable speed and since it would be manual vari-speed I don't see the point?

This would go much better with a more detailed explenation of the overall project.

Ron

Google: cartridge heaters
Cartridge and Insertion Heaters for Heat Transfer and Uniform Temperatures in the Heating Element Industry
Cartridge Heaters:
**broken link removed**
SunRod 1/8" and 4mm Cartridge Heaters from Sun Electric Heater
And many more!
Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…