Help with relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie lamberth

Hey there new to these so I got a quick question. I'm building a Christmas light controller to make the lights blink . I'm using a 120v mechanical relay but the relay can't handle the rapid on and off. And began to over heat very quickly . What relay would be best and can handle turn on and off hundreds of times in a matter of minutes? Would a solid state relay work?
Thanks guys

over heat very quickly
How hot?
Please show me the data on the side of the relay. Current=? Voltage=? Coil voltage=? or part number and I can find the data
----edited-----
How much power is going through the lights? It is real easy to get 20 amps of lights on one string.

The relay started smoking and we're burning up . I only had one string of lights just trying it out .I was pull .3 amps
So I was no where near the limit but the relay just couldn't take the fast pulsing

If you are applying 120Vac to the coil of a relay rated for 24Vac, I am not surprised that it started to smoke....

How are you driving the relay coil?
If you are applying 120Vac to the coil of a relay rated for 24Vac, I am not surprised that it started to smoke....
If you are using 24 volts DC then you are also in trouble! There is a big difference between AC and DC for the coil on the relay. If this is the case there is a trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…