Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with recharging information - phone batterys

Status
Not open for further replies.

stormrazer121

Hey all, seems I've come across a place that has a lot of intelligent people that will hopefully be able to help me :) To cut a long story short, i;ve built a speaker dock, which has turnt out pretty well however...

I've torn apart a Samsung Tocco phone to use as a "rechargeable" battery, it works but the battery (Li-ion) is not that great and only last approx 3.5 hours and i work a 4 hour shift at a time so need more life from it :)

I have a Li-poly battery, which can hold more charge, now this is where i need some advice/help :)

Would say the Samsung phone be able to charge the Li-poly battery?

Do mobile battery's have the safety circuits built into them, or into the phones?

Why do mobile battery's have 3 pins? what is the middle terminal for??

Hopefully some of you guys can help me on this one :)

Cheers!

Most Samsung batteries have built in protection.

If you take the label of the battery, that is usually all that holds the plastic end caps in place. You can then see the protection circuit on the battery.

The phone may well slightly overcharge the LiPo, there is a slight difference in max voltage.

I don't think it would be advisable to use a LiPo, the advice is always to charge them out of the device, in a fire resistant area. (ask Boeing :) )

Protection circuits are available separately for just over £1.

Hey all, seems I've come across a place that has a lot of intelligent people that will hopefully be able to help me :) To cut a long story short, i;ve built a speaker dock, which has turnt out pretty well however...

I've torn apart a Samsung Tocco phone to use as a "rechargeable" battery, it works but the battery (Li-ion) is not that great and only last approx 3.5 hours and i work a 4 hour shift at a time so need more life from it :)

I have a Li-poly battery, which can hold more charge, now this is where i need some advice/help :)

Would say the Samsung phone be able to charge the Li-poly battery?

Do mobile battery's have the safety circuits built into them, or into the phones?

Why do mobile battery's have 3 pins? what is the middle terminal for??

Hopefully some of you guys can help me on this one :)

Cheers!

Hello,

Buy another battery online and keep that charged up. When one runs down, use the other one.

The third pin on my phone battery is a thermistor. That's used with the charge circuit to detect over heating.

Sometimes you can find a more powerful battery sometimes not. So you might have to use two.

Hey guys thanks for the info, from what i can gather (and what my research seems to confirm) is that the 3rd pin is their to control the charge rate if the battery gets to hot, have to say when i recharge the battery there is no heat at all o_O but then it is a pretty pathetic battery!

So on with doing more research the battery i have is a 3.7v li-ion 880mAh so would i be correct in thinking that if i got another Samsung battery that was 3.7v but with 2500mAh i would in theory be able to charge this using the toccos parts?

I can only imagine the phone would charge it slower than what say the galaxy ace would (the battery im wanting to use)

I have done so much research it is shocking! but i want this to be safe and without a data sheet on the battery or how the phone charges it (pre charge and so on) it is pretty hard to do!

also, if i get around 3.5 hours of power from this 880mAh battery would i be right in thinking if i double this i should get roughly 6 hours?

I understand li-ion but without a data sheet it is much more difficult!

Hi,

That sounds about right. You could measure the full charge voltage of the old battery and new battery just to make sure.
Are you sure the bigger battery will fit though...might want to check that.

hey, thanks but im pretty sure it will fit yes :) the phone is in bits and i shall solder the terminals on the new battery to use it as my "amp" is also connected directly to the battery (well sort of) so yes it will fit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back