Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with proper grounding of tesla coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

Right now im really confused about proper grounding of the different components in a tesla coil. im finding so much contradicting information on the internet.i read that RF ground should not connect to transformer Ground, the opposite of what the schematic shows. hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me. i attached a drawing to refer to. basically just wondering which points get connected to eachother and whether they go to earth ground or mains ground.

A=mains ground
B= Ground on the EMI noise filter
C=chassi of HV transformer also common to center tap of output
D=transformer ground on terry filter
E=RF ground on terry filter
F=Ground point for the strike ring
G= earth ground for the bottom of the secondary

Hi Lokey--

The bottom end of the secondary should not be connected to any other part of the circuit. Period. It should be connected to a long metal stake pounded into the earth. All other grounds should be okay to connect to the NST ground. I believe that's how it's supposed to be connected, but perhaps someone can verify that for me.

So you getting close to having it running? ;)

Regards,
Der Strom

Hi Lokey--

The bottom end of the secondary should not be connected to any other part of the circuit. Period. It should be connected to a long metal stake pounded into the earth. All other grounds should be okay to connect to the NST ground. I believe that's how it's supposed to be connected, but perhaps someone can verify that for me.

So you getting close to having it running? ;)

Regards,
Der Strom

im getting there slowly but surely. i have the primary, secondary, strike ring, and terry filter setup. at the moment im working on the adjustable spark gap and the capacitor. i totally cant afford to buy caps so im experimenting with sheets of glass and tinfoil. my bucket cap shattered while testing it.

im getting there slowly but surely. i have the primary, secondary, strike ring, and terry filter setup. at the moment im working on the adjustable spark gap and the capacitor. i totally cant afford to buy caps so im experimenting with sheets of glass and tinfoil. my bucket cap shattered while testing it.

Sounds like it's coming right along! Do you have a cap meter, or a DMM that can measure capacitance? It will help you a lot--I bought one just for that reason: To measure the capacitance of my homemade capacitors for my tesla coil. If you don't have one, I highly recommend you get one. Last I knew, Kmart was selling good craftsman multimeters with a capacitance function for $25. I bought mine there and it's lasted me 5 years already. I highly recommend them. Also, with crafstman, there's a lifetime warranty on it--if it breaks, you can get it replaced at no cost :)

this schematic adds to the confusion. it shows the RF ground going to the NST center tap. which i was told is spossed to goto mains ground.

The NST center tap is often connected to mains ground. I don't think it would be much of a problem in this case. To make it even more confusing for you, here's a (complex) tesla coil schematic showing the connections of each part of the tesla coil circuit. The most important part I think you'll find interesting is the first stage:

View attachment 64197

you can see that mains ground, NST center tap/ground, and RF ground are all connected to the same line (connection between NST and mains is shown by a symbol). Hopefully this clears it up a little.

Good luck!
Der Strom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back