Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with projector lamp for Epson projector

Status
Not open for further replies.

diymultitouch

Hi Guys,

I have an Epson EMP-30 DLP Projector. My projector lamp is not lighting up and when I measured its resistance I got Infinite ohms. However, when I tried to check the voltage on the leads in the projector, I didn't get any voltage output. The lamp is rated for 130W 80V (LAMP No. ELPLP19). The projector's warning light (bulb/temp) comes on when I turn on my projector.

1) What metal-halide bulb do you guys recommend I replace the original lamp with? I don't what to pay hundreds of dollars for an original projector lamp that's rated for 1500Hrs.

2) Will I be able to retrofit the new metal-halide bulb with the projector's power supply? What are your recommendations how I should go about it?

3) Since I'm not getting a voltage reading in the connectors of the projector, should I circumvent the internal power supply and buy an external ballast? If that's a possibility, How can I override the warning circuit in the projector and use a lamp with an external power supply?

Any help is highly appreciated,
Mario

Hi Guys,

I have an Epson EMP-30 DLP Projector. My projector lamp is not lighting up and when I measured its resistance I got Infinite ohms. However, when I tried to check the voltage on the leads in the projector, I didn't get any voltage output. The lamp is rated for 130W 80V (LAMP No. ELPLP19). The projector's warning light (bulb/temp) comes on when I turn on my projector.

1) What metal-halide bulb do you guys recommend I replace the original lamp with? I don't what to pay hundreds of dollars for an original projector lamp that's rated for 1500Hrs.

2) Will I be able to retrofit the new metal-halide bulb with the projector's power supply? What are your recommendations how I should go about it?

3) Since I'm not getting a voltage reading in the connectors of the projector, should I circumvent the internal power supply and buy an external ballast? If that's a possibility, How can I override the warning circuit in the projector and use a lamp with an external power supply?

Any help is highly appreciated,
Mario

you need the origional bulb, unless you want to do modifications to the projector.

If so get a bilb that will fit and give it its own power supply, reset the bulb counter (refer to your manual) and it should fire up.
There will be a lead that comes from the main board to tell it the bulb is on, i think its a pink wire in the epson projectors. overide this and it will hopefully work for you.

To Cobra1 --- The only lead that I find is a white ceramic sensor with two wires connected to it. It looks like a temp sensor? Where would I find this bulb counter?

The only lead that I find is a white ceramic sensor with two wires connected to it. It looks like a temp sensor? Where would I find this bulb counter?

Just found the lamp timer in the manual. However this is done with the remote or the power button on, but since I can't get to it, I don't know how I would be able to replace the bulb with an external power?

How may hours do you have on the lamp?

You will always get infinite ohms on the lamp leads. It's a arc type lamp with no direct connection between the terminals.

The power supply may not generate an output when it detects a bad or no lamp.

You will need to buy a replacement lamp specifically designed for the projector, if the lamp is bad. All metal-halide bulbs are expensive and you would save little by trying to kluge in a different replacement type.

I recall reading about this sort of thing on the net. In some cases the bulb is sold with a carrier. It may be possible to replace the dead bulb in the existing carrier for a new bulb for less money (if it is the problem).

Others suggest as was below replacing the bulb the a different bulb type and adding apower supply to make it more affordable to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back