Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with producing a high rated current pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandrake2002

hello everyone,
thanks in advance for taking the trouble to read and reply

i am struck with a circuit here . i am aiming to produce a triangular current waveform which has to be used in a different circuit . i've given the simplified version of the circuit

max current 10A , frequency 10 KHz
HTML:
        _______2 ohm_____
        |               |
        |               |
        |               |          
        40V         Mosfet  
        |                |
        |________________|

i am currently using MOSFET IRFP 250N. my gate drive voltage is a 5 V variable supply given from my computer(Vgs)

i am getting a linear current (Id) output when gate supply in the range of 3.5 to 3.9 and then it is suddenly shooting up and after that i am again getting a linear variation . This results in the distortion of my current waveform and so i am not able to implement it in my other circuitry

could you please help me with this problem or is there any other way to produce such a pulse like using IGBT or any other power device . please help

Last edited:
The amount of current out of a Mosfet is not linearily controlled by its gate voltage. An opamp could be used to provide plenty of gain so that negative feedback will make its response very linear.

Attachments

• IRFP250.PNG
    IRFP250.PNG
    16.9 KB · Views: 349
hello audioguru,
thanks for taking the trouble .

are you suggesting a transconductance amplifier ? if so would it be stable for the current ratings that i specified (0-10A) and would it respond to a fast changing pulse of frequency 10 KHz .
and is it possible to obtain a gain of nearly 2A/V

i would be very glad if you can point out a suitable op-amp or atleast specify a link where i would get some info

thanks a lot .:)

Attachments

• trans.JPG
    trans.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Here is a linear amp with your Mosfet providing up to 30A to a load. Its voltage gain is 2 but is easily changed by changing one of the feedback resistors. It will faithfully reproduce a triangle wave or any other shape of wave up to about 15kHz.
EDIT: Voltage gain is 2, not 1.

Attachments

• Linear amp.PNG
    Linear amp.PNG
    23.4 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back