Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with problem programming 16F628A

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukatv

Hi all,

I've been using the 16F628 for some time now, writing code and compiling with PBP and using a Tait style parallel programmer with P16PRO.

The latest batch of Pic's I have been supplied with are 16F628A - I/P, I have updated the Device.ini on P16PRO but I cannot program the PIC, I can program an existing 16F628 I have no problem but when I try to program the 16F628A -I/P I get the same error number every time right at the start of trying to program.

Does anyone have any ideas as to my problem?

Thanks

Jim

ukatv said:
Hi all,

I've been using the 16F628 for some time now, writing code and compiling with PBP and using a Tait style parallel programmer with P16PRO.

The latest batch of Pic's I have been supplied with are 16F628A - I/P, I have updated the Device.ini on P16PRO but I cannot program the PIC, I can program an existing 16F628 I have no problem but when I try to program the 16F628A -I/P I get the same error number every time right at the start of trying to program.

Does anyone have any ideas as to my problem?

The 16F628 is an EEPROM chip, while the 16F628A is a FLASH chip, totally different technology, and a totally different method of programming. To program the 16F628A you will probably require an updated program, it's unlikely that old software will contain the required code to program technology which didn't exist when it was written.

Nigel,

Thanks for the reply, So if I purchase a different programmer and use lets say Winpicprog this will work?

If so what Programmer would you recomend, I'm not a large volume programmer, maybe 4 or 5 pics a week is all.

Regards,

Jim

ukatv said:
Nigel,

Thanks for the reply, So if I purchase a different programmer and use lets say Winpicprog this will work?

If so what Programmer would you recomend, I'm not a large volume programmer, maybe 4 or 5 pics a week is all.

The problem isn't the programmer, it's the software, WinPicProg doesn't yet support it - I've got a chip, but haven't had time to work on it yet. You could try ICProg, I don't know if that supports it or not yet.

Clear the IC first

I must first clear the PIC 16F628A when I use the basic parallel port programmer and the old DOS N.O.P.P.P program. N.O.P.P.P. has been working fine for all my F84, F84A, F627, and F628A chips.

What I dislike is how finding the difference between 628 and 628A is proving to be difficult. Microchip's site is sorely slow, the .pdf for --->628A migration is not listed, but the migration for --->84A is listed yet the link returns a page not found.

Hi Nigel,

Thanks for all your help, OK I have now found 2 Windows based programs that will work in XP and program the 16F628A-I/P successfully using my Tait 7406-PNP style programmer.

They are :-

IC-Prog from http://www.ic-prog.com/
Oshon from http://www.oshonsoft.com/picprog.html

Both do not have the 16F628A listed but selecting the 16F628 works OK with both.

Would be very interested when you get Winpicprog to support the 16F628 as I like your software.

Regards,

Jim

Possible Solution.?.?

I have a programmer that I built specifically to program my 16F84A and 16F628A chips. It works with WinPic800 V 3.59 and PICPgm V 1.0.1.2 and may work with other programs as well. It is detected as a JDM programmer. It is a erial programmer and works like a charm. Has not had it fail on me yet.

Hope this helps.

Dan

Attachments

• 84A-628A-sch.pdf
    74.1 KB · Views: 763
  • 84A-628A-Board.pdf
    76.7 KB · Views: 612
Excuse Me!

Sorry I didn't look at the date. My BAD!

Doesn't sound like you want advice from new people on the board.

I won't try and help anyone any more!

Photo-Worx i would like to thank you even two years down the track that i had trouble finding an answer and you can help,

i dont get it when people bag others for bringing up old threads with great info....

info is info and the rest of the thread paints the picture

top Man.......Photo-Worx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back