Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with PIR Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

awilder

I have a passive infrared sensor from Radio Shack. I have tried to wire it up to a small buzzer. However, I have had no success getting it to work.

I thought I could just attach the battery source to the (+) and (-) leads and then attach the buzzer to the (out) and then back to the (-). When movement is detected it should send voltage through the (out) pin. Instead, the buzzer just goes on and off every 2-3 second, even when nobody is near the sensor. I have also tried giving the sensor time to stabalize.

I connected the (-) and (+) and positive leads from the sensor to two AA batteries. I then used a multimeter to check the voltage coming from the (out) lead. I connected the multimeter to the (out) and the (-) leads. What I get is about 2-3 volts showing on the multimeter every few seconds. The voltage just pulses up and down from 0-3 volts every 2-3 seconds. Movement has no effect on the PIR sensor at all.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
hi,
Whats the PIR part number.? or datasheet.?

I believe you have a Radio Shack Catalog #: 276-033 which is actually a Parallax PIR Sensor (#555-28027). This should be the data sheet for your sensor.

The sensor is designed to work from a minimum 3.3 volt supply with a maximum of 5 volts. Likely your batteries are not adequate (2 x 1.5 volts = 3 volts). Additionally I don't know how much current these units can drive but I would venture a guess if you want to drive a buzzer of any substance you will need to do it using a transistor. PIR to Transistor To Buzzer.

I would start by using 3 batteries to power the unit with about 4.5 volts. See if it works with a voltmeter looking at the output. See how much current your buzzer requires.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back