Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with PIR / IR / CCTV / VCR circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

idris

I want build a "simple" :roll: security system which does the following:

A PIR triggers a VCR to start recording from a hidden IR camera.
The VCR is old and I was thinking of hard wiring a trigger circuit to the switches to avoid using a IR remote-control device.
There needs to be a timer so that once triggered the VCR will stop after 5-10min and then resets itself.
(Something like the diagram below.)

I've had look for a commercially available system, but it's looking like the best part of £200 :shock: Am I deluding myself to think that I could build a system for less?

I can quite happily solder use a soldering iron, but I haven't the first idea about chosing components and whilst I can get my head round designing systems, circuits themselves a way beyond me.
In other words, and I know this is really cheeky would someone like to do the design work for me :oops:

(BTW I'm expecting to source the parts form Maplin.)

Attachments

• System.GIF
    System.GIF
    4.7 KB · Views: 543
The February 2004 Television magazine contained just such a project, nice and simple (not a PIC in sight!).

Here is the block diagram and circuit.

Attachments

• cctv1.GIF
    cctv1.GIF
    367.5 KB · Views: 580
  • cctv2.GIF
    cctv2.GIF
    295.8 KB · Views: 713
Nigel.
Fan-bloody-tastic :!:

My electronics is very limited, so I have some questions resulting from it.

I assume that:
1. the "Sounder" is just an audible alarm, VR1 is just a volume control and both can be left out completely along with D5.
2. the PIR provides a trigger voltage for the Power Unit, which will need to have some sort of timed shut-off. If so, do you have any suggestions?

I'm a little unclear on how the circuit works so:
3. As Play and Record need to be triggered togeather, I would have expected RLS and RLP to be the other way round. (I may be completely missing the point here. :oops: )
4. I'm guessing the trasistor part of the circuit is a delay. If so, what would need to be changed to what to vary the delay and could this somehow be used for a timed power supply?

I've never had a look at the wiring / spec of a PIR. Do you know what voltages they tend to deal with in terms of input and output? I'm guessing the provide a voltage at the output when they detect movement.

As I mentioned, I haven't got the first idea about chosing components, so could you offer any advice on what components to order. (Part no.s would be fantastic and leave me profoundly in your debt.) Is that groveling low enough :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back