Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Opto High Side Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attached is a schematic for a high side optoisolator. I've not used optos often enough to know if one exists that can take a 10ma input signal (the led) and supply approx 100ma to 200ma at 40vdc max @ 100hz (I've used some SLOW optos before and they are SLOW...)

Attachments

• opto40.gif
    opto40.gif
    4.3 KB · Views: 208
Current Transfer Ratio

The specification you are looking for is called the Current Transfer Ratio, or CTR. A typical CTR value for a 4N25 type opto is 30% to 600%. You can specify a CTR range when you buy them and the higher the CTR the more expensive. They won't quite get to a factor of 10 and they degrade with age so you really can't depend on the CTR remaining constant.

When you say they are slow I assume you mean propagation delay. They are in the 3 to 5 microsecond range. If you want low propagation delay try the HCPL 0710 at 40 nanoseconds. Of course you will pay for this feature.

why high side? isn't that basically an emitter follower?

I'd use a driver transistor but you should figure out the power dissipation, I think you might be pushing it with a small signal transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back