Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with optical solenoid control circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoxious

Hey guys, need some help controling a solenoid with an optical switch.

I want the current to the solenoid to be OFF when the optical switch is blocked, ON when clear.

I've build the attached circuit and I can get a voltage drop when I block the sensor but I can't get the transistors to turn on when the sensor is open.

I'm using HY860F optical switch and I can't find a datasheet.

Help woluld be much appriecated !!

hi,
The gain of the 2N3055 is very low in saturation, say 5 to 10, you have a 1K base resistor to 12V, thats only giving a 10mA base current to the 2N3055.

It needs approx 0.5A for a 5A collector current.

You can't possibly get 5A through the solenoid from a 12V supply with a 100Ω resistor in the 3055's emitter path. Have you considered using a power MOSFET instead of a 3055?

It should work better if you change the 2N3055 to a power NMOSFET. Also make the collector resistor of Q1 about 1kΩ and remove the emitter resistor (or make it perhaps 10k-100kΩ).

I would add a flyback diode across the solenoids coil too.

Also why not just use one resistor to limit the current through the LED ?

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will redesign with a NMOSFET and let you review. I've been out of electronics for quite a while (30 years!) and need all the help I can get.

Working but I need a longer duty cycle

Hey Guys, got my optical switch/solenoid working. Thanks for the help.

But I need a longer duty cycle. I get rapid oscillation of the solenoid plunger turning the optical switch on and off but I need it to be slower.

How can I add a cap to slow down the plunger action and get a longer duty cycle ?

If you want the plunger to move at a fairly constant speed that will be difficult because of plunger friction and inertia. I think it would entail having a high current at switch-on, to overcome stiction, followed by a rapid ramped reduction in current to reduce acceleration to zero. IMO the circuit to do that will need more than just an added cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back