help with LCD module

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsdsds

All right I am desperate now! I’m trying to run an OPTREX DMC-50244 LCD module (Hitatchi 44780 compatible) LCD module. I’ve hooked it up to a programmed pic 16F84A and it simply just won’t work. It won’t even display a cursor. I’ve read the manual (several times) and my code is based on examples from the net. I’ve checked my program a dozen times and it seams to be working properly. I followed the initialization procedure very carefully and put sufficient delays. I have no emulator so I used some LEDs to track.
I also checked the circuit. Im not sure about one thing: The 14-pin pinout for the optrex is not a 1x 14 row. It is 2 x 7 row labeled like this:

13 14
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
o o
1 2

Now, my question is how are they numberd ? I think it is like this:

...etc
5 6
3 4
1 2

or, is it actually:

....etc
5 6
4 3
1 2

Also, Is there any way to test the module without hooking it up to a mcu?
Should I get at least a cursor by just powering it up?

all the HD44780 compatable LCDs i have used, once u have powered up, and set the contrast level (normaly the PD between GND and Vcc)

if u just let all the other pins be low from power on (start condition) and slowly adjust the contrast potentiomitor, until u have a row of black rectangles, all the "locations" might not be black, the contrast is the same accross the whole LCD don't worry!

IT WAS THE CONTRAST PIN!!! WHOOOOHOOO!! I just had to adjust the 10k pot.

Great!!

Thanks a million guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…