Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with IR Signal Light system

Status
Not open for further replies.

j0pi

I'm building a 2 IR beam sensor detector system that will trigger Red/Green Signal Light.

when both beam are closed the light stays green

when 1 or both beams are open light turns red

planning to use these circuits

2x IR beam sensor

Transmitter: L: 1-3/4" W: 1-1/4" H: 1"
Receiver: L: 2" W: 1-7/8" H: 1"
Relay Contact Ratings: 250VAC @ 12Amps
Requires 12 Volt DC power supply

1x Dual Hi/Lo Switched Relay Board 12Volt Version

Specifications:

Relays have a Common, Normally Closed (NC), and Normally Open (NO).
Relay Contact Ratings: 250VAC @ 12Amps

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Since I haven't touch electronics in years I'm not to sure about the power requirements. I don't know this components are enough to power my 2 100 W Signal light apparatus.

I also don't know see how the HiLo Circuit can be hooked up to a 120V power source from the picture provide.

Any help would be appreciated.

You need 12VDC (like from a Wall-wart DC power supply) to run the circuits, both ends, if not co-located)

You are going to switch 100W lamps that are wired through the relay contacts?

yes I am planning to switch 100W lamps wired through the HiLo relay. I really don't see how to wire both the signal from the IR Beam circuit wire into the HiLo Relay And the 120V power for the lamps

Last edited:
Will this work for you? As long as both IR beams are unbroken, the two IR detector contacts are closed, applying 12V to the transfer relay, pulling it in, closing the NO contact. By wiring the 120V lamps as shown, the Green Lamp will be lit.

If either (or both) IR beam(s) are broken, the transfer relay releases, causing the Red lamp to illuminate.

Attachments

• IRrly.png
    IRrly.png
    284.3 KB · Views: 145
I changed the 120V side to make it safer. Note that I put the relay contacts in the 120V hot side so that the candlabra screw base for the 120V lamps can be tied to neutral, which will reduce shock hazard if you touch the screw part of the base. I also added an on/off switch to turn off the lamp while the system is not being used...

Attachments

• IRrly.png
    IRrly.png
    372.5 KB · Views: 116
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back