Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with IR remote control jammer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geforce

Hi...

I'm a beginner at building and understanding circuits, this is one of my first soldering projects so her are my questions about it....

here is the schematic
https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/jammer.htm

R5 is R3 in the notes area so you know he made a mistake there.

I can't seem to find one of these online any where I type this in "10nF Ceramic Disc Capacitor" and other capacitor's show up, like it will say "uf" or "Pf" instead of "nF" are they the same?

I used the web sites that were listed in one of this forums posts, about where to buy components, and saved eleven of them in my favorites. Jamco seamed to be the best choice in my opinion to by parts from.

I bought some of the components for this at Radio Shack
and bought... R1 R3 R4 C2 Q2 the rest I need to buy online so if you guys could help me I would appreciate it.:)

This is the pot I bought from radio shack, I talked to a guy and
told him it was for a small circuit for jamming a tv,
so he said this would be good for what I was doing. I don't know but I look at it now and think it might be too small... but that's me,
again I am still learning so if you could tell diferrent go ahead:)
https://www.radioshack.com/product/...entiometer&kw=potentiometer&parentPage=search

Units

The F means Farads which is the unit that tells you how big the capacitor is. nF is a unit of Farads just like mF or uF, where the prefixes mean:
n = nano (10^-9, one billionth)
u = micro (10^-6, one millionth)
m = milli (10^-3, one thousandth)
k = kilo (10^3, one thousand)
M = mega (10^6, one million)
G = giga (10^9, one billion)
They just describe the different orders of magnitude just like {byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte} or {mm, meter, cm, km}. So, no they are not the same. They are different by multiples of a thousand times.

So 10nF = 10x10^-9 Farads = 10,000pF = 0.01uF

Where is the pot supposed to go in the circuit? Either way, 100K is a very large resistance. Not many things need a resistance larger than that. When you meant small, did you mean you thought the max resistance was too low? or that the pot itself was too small? The size of the pot (or any resistor) does not dictate it's resistance as much as it dictates how much current the pot can handle running through it. It should be fine for your application. You should try to find how much current will be flowing across the pot at the resistances you are planning to use it at and multiply the pot's resistance by the square of the current:

Power = (Current^2)(Resistance)

If at any time the power exceeds 0.1W, then you need a bigger resistor, since that is the maximum power specified by the pot you showed me.

But the real question now, is will you use the new powers granted by your invention for good?...or for evil?

Last edited:
Its frequency will be far lower than modern IR remotes so maybe the frequency doesn't matter. It just blasts IR so that the TV's IR receiver doesn't receive its proper frequency.

dknguyen said:
The F means Farads which is the unit that tells you how big the capacitor is. nF is a unit of Farads just like mF or uF, where the prefixes mean:
n = nano (10^-9, one billionth)
u = micro (10^-6, one millionth)
m = milli (10^-3, one thousandth)
k = kilo (10^3, one thousand)
M = mega (10^6, one million)
G = giga (10^9, one billion)
They just describe the different orders of magnitude just like {byte, kilobyte, megabyte, gigabyte} or {mm, meter, cm, km}. So, no they are not the same. They are different by multiples of a thousand times.

So 10nF = 10x10^-9 Farads = 10,000pF = 0.01uF

Where is the pot supposed to go in the circuit? Either way, 100K is a very large resistance. Not many things need a resistance larger than that. When you meant small, did you mean you thought the max resistance was too low? or that the pot itself was too small? The size of the pot (or any resistor) does not dictate it's resistance as much as it dictates how much current the pot can handle running through it. It should be fine for your application. You should try to find how much current will be flowing across the pot at the resistances you are planning to use it at and multiply the pot's resistance by the square of the current:

Power = (Current^2)(Resistance)

If at any time the power exceeds 0.1W, then you need a bigger resistor, since that is the maximum power specified by the pot you showed me.

But the real question now, is will you use the new powers granted by your invention for good?...or for evil?

audioguru said:
Its frequency will be far lower than modern IR remotes so maybe the frequency doesn't matter. It just blasts IR so that the TV's IR receiver doesn't receive its proper frequency.

dknguyen, well I'm not sure how to measure resistance for a circuit still, I bought a multie meter and still learning how to use it, as I said I am still learning about electronics and there concepts so if you could explain to me how to measure it I would appreciate it. The pot is R5 on the schematic as I said on my first post he made a mistake R5 is really R3 in the notes. This is my first soldering project so bear with me. Thanks for the detailed explanation by the way.

And in regards to dknguyen... Just want to make something cool, that I will use and not just throw it in a box under my workbench in a few days and forget about it lol:D

audioguru and dkn, I think you should look at these links they will answer your questions better than I can. It matter's what frequency it is set for because the people that have built it said that, well... look at the links and tell me what ya think. The first one is the best, audioguru explains in detail what is wrong and how to fix it at the bottom of the first page. Translate please don't understand most of what he said lol...
Im' planning on jamming my bright house cable remote, since that is a new model compared to what was standard in 2004 I am going to have to make some changes to the original planes like audio said in the link. I don't know the frequency for those remotes, how do you measure frequency there is a special tool I'm guessing.

This is just a guess but are you the same audioguru in the forum here?
https://www.aaroncake.net/forum/top...te+Jammer+(Carl)+*&Forum_Title=Other+Circuits

https://www.aaroncake.net/forum/top...tle=ir+jammer+problem&Forum_Title=Light/LASER

https://www.aaroncake.net/forum/top...Remote+Control+Jammer&Forum_Title=Light/LASER

https://www.aaroncake.net/forum/top...l+jammer+frequency&Forum_Title=Other+Circuits

plz help...:confused:

As you have read about it, that project has errors in its parts list and doesn't work anyway. Many projects on that site have errors.

Well thanks anyway for the tips guys:) I think I will just find myself another project "maybe even on this site;) " lol, I think when I learn more about this I will get back to it in the future... Again thanks for the help:D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back