Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with highpower LED circuit protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

ELEFANTOMET

**broken link removed**

Ive been working on a solution to ensure that the SMPS for my Highpower LED, doesnt get more than 15W in a minute in case of a short.
The solution ive been working on is the one attached, using the 10R resistor, simulating a short, by connecting the 10R resistor(since theres impedance match, the power should not exceed 12V^2/10R=14.4W).
Some1 suggested me the Zener & Capacitor, because the SMPS needs 2.8A to start switching, and without theese two, it only gets 1.2A?
Can some1 explain me the function of the zener and capacitor. The way its connected here, the zener burns out and make a short, why is that?

now with attachment :) sorry

Attachments

• LED Circuit.JPG
    LED Circuit.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 136
Yes the Zener will burn out, and short. Why the zener? I do not know. Why the cap? I do not know. That some1 you got information from, do not ask for advice on stock picks! Maybe your attachments is not right. Where is the SMPS attached?

You have 24 volts. Is it regulated? (a good 24)
What LED?
What SMPS?

I think I see what you are trying to do.
I would use a "PTC Resettable Fuses". There are several different names for this resettable fuse. When it opens up it will take maybe 30 seconds to reset and work again. You will choose a fuse with a voltage in the 30 to 60 volt range and maybe a current rating of 2A. You could try 1.5A, 2A and 2.5, or 3A. They are a little slow if the current is only 20% over current. They get much faster at 200% over current.

Go to digikey.com and search for "PTC Resettable Fuses" Select 30 to 60V and 1.5A to 3A (hold current).
Here is a data sheet for some fuses.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/09/Littelfuse_60R.pdf

The fuse won't work because of the specification of not more than 15W in the SMPS in case of error. 15W/24V=0.625A
The SMPS is using 2.8A in startup current(to trigger the switching), and after that 0.45A.
So i would have to find a fuse that on at 0.45A but breaks at 0.625A, and can handle the 2.8A in startup current(the first 500-600ms approximately). I've been looking for one, but it doesn't like I'm gonna find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back