Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with graphic eq - swap out low volt / low watt LEDs with 3.2 - 3.6v 100-120ma LE

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandiegoman

I have a great graphic eq / spectrum analyzer that I am trying to reduce to a 5 x 5 pattern and putting the LEDs on 3' leads.

So I need to remove 3 bands, and 1 led from each column. I don't have a very good schematic, I could not find one online, but one did come with the kit I ordered off of Ebay.

I would like to change all the 3mm LEDs to 8mm Straw Hat Wide Angle White LED - Ultra Bright LEDs using 100-120ma and 3.2 - 3.6v.

I can't believe it, but they actually light up dimly when I swapped 1 row of them out, I would just like for them to have the max brightness.

I have attached the schematic and parts list, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think what might actually be driving the LEDs is the CD4028BF. That seems to have plenty of power, but I am not 100% sure that is the role of that IC. It looks like the lm3915 is switching the negative on and off and the cd4028BF is providing the + voltage. There is a 10k resistor between each of the pins and a bc337 transistor:

Collector-Emitter Volt (Vceo): 45V
Collector Current (Ic): 0.8A
hfe: 100-250 @ 100mA
Power Dissipation (Ptot): 625mW
Current-Gain-Bandwidth (ftotal): 210MHz
Type: NPN

which then runs to the LED columns.

I am not sure if that will help. It seems to me the problem is with the transistor. I ran a jumper on the 10k resistor that was between the transistor and the LED columns and that actually dropped the brightness so I didn't think that was the problem.

I found this article, which led me to this forum: http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/SpotMistakes/SpotMistakesP6.html

The 2nd project looks like what I am looking for, but the solution was not provided. It uses the same transistor as I am currently using, but since there is a problem with the design, I wasn't sure how to fix it on my end to power my stronger LEDs as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Bryan

Attachments

• eq1-sm.jpg
    eq1-sm.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 167
  • eq2-sm.jpg
    eq2-sm.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 155
Unfortunately the first pic is too small to see the details :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips