Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with diode bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomstpierre

Hi guys
I dont know what diode bridge should i use for a project..
I have 13vac 60hz and want to have 13vdc 10a
What kind of diode bridge should i get? Any parts number ?
13vac 10a -----> 13vdc 10a
Thanks guys

13V AC RMS has a peak voltage of 18.4, so check retailers websites for bridge rectifiers with a PIV (peak inverse voltage) rating at least twice that, and a current rating at least 15A. The rectifier will drop about 1.5V, so the following smoothing capacitor will charge to ~ 16.9V DC. How do you plan to get that down to 13V DC?

13Vac will give you 13*1.414= 18.4Vdc and probably even more if the transformers voltage is rated at full load and you load it just lightly, so there´s your first problem.
Other than that, any rectifier bridge that can handle at least 10A is ok for you (they generally dont manufacture bridges with less than 100V rating or so).

How well regulated does the 13Vdc need to be?

13vac is at the output of my transfo ... Than goes to 18vdc with the diode bridge .. Than i'll put a regulator to got 13vdc ...
I just dont even know what diode bridge should i use !
Thanks a lot for your answers guys

Check the old surplus shops for an old CB radio power supply. They're 13.8VDC out at around 3A and just perfect for running a low wattage car stereo.

One of these should work for your bridge. Note that these devices need some sort of heat sink for currents above a few amps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back