Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with dc mototr rpm

Status
Not open for further replies.

black-code

Hello all,..

I want to calculate the rpm of a dc motor by using a shaft encoder the motor gives 400 rpm so how can i get the rpm by using that shaft encoder (Note that the rotating wheel is 45 count per revolution).

I only want to know what equations are needed to use it with a microcontroller so i can get the rpm of the motor to make a speed control.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
The encoder will give 45 pulses in 1 rev of the motor, at 400 rpm there will be 400 x 45 pulses in 1 minute.
So if you are measuring the frequency (counts per second), you will get 400 x 45 / 60 counts per second.
That is 300 counts per second.

JimB

OK, I will state it another way.

When the motor is turning at 400rpm, you will have a frequency of 300hz from the encoder disc.

The speed in RPM = frequency x 1.333
The speed in radians/minute = frequency x 8.377

JimB

Last edited:
Thanks JimB but can you plZ tell me from where you get this numbers (1.333 and 8.377) used in the above equations ??

Thanks.

As I said before:

The encoder will give 45 pulses in 1 rev of the motor, at 400 rpm there will be 400 x 45 pulses in 1 minute.
So if you are measuring the frequency (counts per second), you will get 400 x 45 / 60 counts per second.
That is 300 counts per second.

So, each pulse per second is equal to 400/300 rpm 400/300 = 1.333 rpm.

If you want the angular speed, I assume in radians, and there are 2 x pi radians in a circle, the 1 pulse per second is equivalvent to 2 x 3.142 x 1.333 radians per minute.
(note error in my original post, I wrote radians per second, should be radians per minute. I will correct it).

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back