Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with correct grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokeycmos

if you look at pic, i have drawn up a few schematics of my proposed SGTC circuit. i have gathered these schematics from various websites and i need help with which grounding method is correct/best. i plan on using some RF chokes to protect the transformer. im a little confused because different websites show different grounding methods. please review my schematics and post some feedback on which to use or any changes i need. also, where does the strike ring get grounded to? thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    335.8 KB · Views: 344
Strike ring goes on the same ground as the secondary, so the "Earth Ground" in those drawings. That bottom one should have the safety ground on the mains ground.

It can save your transformer. Neon sign transformers usually have a separate bobbin for the HV winding placed well away from the primary, and they are usually potted, which makes them pretty tough to break from flashover. But given sufficient potential, an HV spike will bust through anything. I've had it crawl around the edge of a sheet of glass, I've sent it straight through 1/4" acrylic. Even with a safety rail there is a possibility the HV will get to something important.

The idea with that mysteriously-placed middle electrode is that the gaps have a lower dielectric strength than the internals of the transformer. Another way to do it is with a "Terry filter" made from a bunch of MOV's strung together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back