Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with choosing the wireless module

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpshamilsagar

hi all,
i want to send a images taken by a webcam connected to an avr to pc and from pc it should process the image and give back the needed instructions..
i know the software parts and all that needed to be done..
but when it comes to choosing the wireless module the problem comes
i dont know if i can use the zigbee or should i go for a much better wifi module with larger bandwidth
if i have to go for larger bandwidth wireless module which one will be cheaper?
thanks in advance..

hi, i am doing a project that is similar with yours,
i need to connect a usb webcam to a uC but is saving to a SD card and the advance is using wireless to send live feed to PC
can u share with me how u connect a webcam to an avr(which model of avr uC using)
and the software flow?
thanks if you can provide any halp coz i'm stuck for a very long time

I can comment about the cheap ASK type transmitters and receiver modules.at about $20 the pair.
They shoud be able to do such stuff as the transmitter simply transmits a stream of data at its best rate and the receiver receives that stream and sends it on .
I am assuming a digital source of data.

Now in reality I have found it has been made a complex task with the software and peripherals I have used (ATMega328 chips either end with arduino modules to program and run them).

The software used , VirtualWire , was only capable of sending about 27 bits of data at a time and much programming was needed to get it into the correct form to send and then more work needed to return it to toe original form when read.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/arduino-rfmodules-virtualwire-dallasonewire.99480/

I have not used the zigbee or any other hardware and would be interested to know also how this is done . Perhaps someone in the know could post a few sites so I can reference them. Definately with the right software the signal should flow straight through but a wider bandwith may enable farster flow rates capable of handling much larger amounts of data per second.

Some of the Radio Controlled planes are sending live video back to ground I think but I could not find any to post here. Most are storing video and pictures on SD type cards on the airplane and viewing afterwards. Arduino.cc and Adafruit sites might help you

Last edited:
hi, i am doing a project that is similar with yours,
i need to connect a usb webcam to a uC but is saving to a SD card and the advance is using wireless to send live feed to PC
can u share with me how u connect a webcam to an avr(which model of avr uC using)
and the software flow?
thanks if you can provide any halp coz i'm stuck for a very long time

hi actually xbee can send only less bandwidth (112.5kbps).so when we consider the something like 640x480 at 25 frames per second with 24 bit YUV then you are taking about 640x480x25x3 bytes per second - that is 23,040,000 bytes per second and it's hopefully clear that a 16/20MHz processor is underpowered for such data rates.
so what my conclusion after a long study is that get camera with transmitter and receiver.
actually i brought one it cost me 1200Rs.so i think you can afford it.then rest all is the programming...

OK so can you post a link to what you bought please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back