Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with cellular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shahardi

Hello all.

Can anyone help me out with a cellular module ?

I want to find a simple a cheep cellular module.

My intention is to be able to insert into it s SIM card.

And by using a micro controller (AVR) to be able to receive and send text messages (SMS).

Please let me know if you have any ideas

dinar603@gmail.com

Thanks
Shahar

Thanks for your replay, I have also found that site while I was looking.

I can buy simple cellular phones that have the ability to send text messages for less then $50 .

So I thought that it should be easy to find just a part of that phone for less.
Any thoughts ?

And once again, thanks for replaying.
Shahar

Some GSM phones have serial ports that let you send SMS etc from a PIC or similar.

GSM phones are made in huge quantities and so they are very cheap. Also there are often old phones sold below cost when shops want to get rid of them to make way for newer ones.

GSM modules are not made or distributed in such quantities.

I make vehicle tracking devices, using GSM modules. Even when we buy 100 or more at a time we pay more for the module than for a cheap GSM phone from a shop. The GSM module is much easier to fit onto a PCB and we will be able to buy the same thing for some time to come. The firmware on the GSM modules can be upgraded and new versions come along every now and then.

Some vehicle tracking devices use complete GSM phones or circuit boards from GSM phones, but they are not as small and neat, and they soon end up using obsolete GSM phones.

That's very interesting.

Can you show me how you connect to such a phone ?

Can you send me a picture and schematic ?

Since my intention is to be able to send and receive text messages, this could be a good solution for me.

You would have to find the pin out of 'your' phones connector, not much we can do to tell you that.

I really appreciate that you take the time to replay to my query.

Currently I am trying to build my first AVR project, I have just bought a burner and I haven’t even installed it yet…

Once I get my foot at the door I will get back to this issue and would very much like to receive your help.

Thank you
Shahar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back