Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with burning fuses ATMega88

Status
Not open for further replies.

fft

ll be using a ATmega88 DIP chip and my soldered PCB has already 32 MHZ Crystal in it(Main Project Board). Now when i program the Atmega88 on my programming board(breadboard) and when i do fuses, do i need to have similar Crystal (32 MHZ) when burning Fuse on programming adapter (breadboard) OR can it be 4MHZ or smaller as long as its in there?
So if i burn my fuses with a 4MHZ Crystal and then put the chip in my PCB that has 32MHZ crystal soldered in(Main Project Board), will it work ok?

Im new at this.

The maximum useable Crystal for an ATMEGA 88 is an 20MHz one.

What Voltage at a specific controller maximum clock frequency is useable, you can see at the first Page of the ATMEGA 88 Datasheet.

At default the Controller is runniing with the internal RC clock at 8MHz and the prescaler / 8.
So the Controller runs at default at 1MHz internal clock.

A useful tool you can find here: https://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

ok so if im using 20MHz crystal in my Project board, then i need to burn fuses with a hooked up 20Mhz crystal on the programming board or doesnt matter at what speed crystal i burn the fuses?
You just just said the recommended speed is 20Mhz but that wasnt my question

Or do i even need a crystal hooked up when burning fuses first time IF NOT USING THE FACTORY SETTING FUSES

I never said the recommanded Fuse is a 20MHz.
I said the maximum possible Clock Frequency is 20MHz.

To burn in Fuses via SPI you always need a clock source!
It doesn't matter with one is used, but the choosen with fuses must!!! be present.

When burning Fuses via ISP to "external Crystal" and there is no external crystal present, will stop any function of ISP.
You can't get access to the Chip until the fused clock source is present.
With parallel programming it is possible to programm such a chip without additional Clock source.
But for that the Chip must be taken out of the Circuit and puted into a special Programmer.

In the Fuses were only 4 Types of Crystals be choosen.
0,4 up to 0,9MHz
0,9 up to 3MHz
3 up to 8MHz
greater 8MHz

The full swing types should only be choosen, when the Clock Oscillator of the Controller shoud drive additional devices.

The SUT is the Start Up time of the Controller and has only effect at the startup of the Controller.
I nearly always use the slowest startup time to avoid problems with slow rising Power supplies.

The Fuses setting must fit to the used crystal. The Controller runs with the speed of the crystal.

The Datasheet say's:

Operating Voltage:
– 1.8 - 5.5V for ATmega88V
– 2.7 - 5.5V for ATmega88

• Speed Grade:
– ATmega88V: 0 - 4 MHz @ 1.8 - 5.5V, 0 - 10 MHz @ 2.7 - 5.5V
– ATmega88: 0 - 10 MHz @ 2.7 - 5.5V, 0 - 20 MHz @ 4.5 - 5.5V

All the other Information you ask, is included into the Datasheet too. But Nobody want's to read that Today :( Link:https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/03/doc8025-1.pdf or https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/03/doc8271.pdf )
Ok you're right the Clock Generation and Fuse Setting is described there a little bit complicated.
But with Fuse Calculator, or Settings at the programmer of AVR Studio 4 makes that quite easy.

What speed grade you need, appends of your application.
Software signal generation or complex mathematics need high speed grades.
For Battery supplied solution you should better use lower speed grades and the Power Down Modes to save energy. Maximum possible frequency appends of the Controller Type ( A, V, P ) too. Look a little bit up.
Note - Higher frequencies draw more current.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back