Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

postoray7

I'm really inexperienced when it comes to electronics, and have only very basic knowledge and have done close to nothing by hand. What I want to do is to design a circuit for a 'buzzer round' of a quiz competition. Now normally, this involves just pressing the buzzer and a sound being created. Firstly, instead of the sounds, I want to use bulbs, which again, is pretty simple. Now, what I want is that, when two people press the buzzer simultaneously (as in, simultaneously to the human eye), only the bulb connected with the buzzer which was first pressed lights up. This is to avoid confusion when two bulbs light up at the same time. Can anyone help on how to go about this?

Secondly, I was also wondering if you could give me a few ideas for projects in electronics for kids (12-13 years old). Anything which would be interesting and challenging and yet, at the same time, not too difficult.

Thanks a lot.

You need something that can remember which button was pressed first.

If you are new to electronics I suggest some relays. You can get relays of the same voltage as the bulbs. They are robust and difficult to damage.

They are more expensive than transistors, but you will probably only need two.

Relays have "normally open" contacts. These turn on when the coil is energised.

There are also "normally closed" contacts that turn off when the coil is energised.

You need to have a relay for team A and one for team B. Connect a normally closed contact on relay A so that it disconnects the button for team B when relay A energises. And vice-versa for fairness!

I'm really inexperienced when it comes to electronics, and have only very basic knowledge and have done close to nothing by hand. What I want to do is to design a circuit for a 'buzzer round' of a quiz competition. Now normally, this involves just pressing the buzzer and a sound being created. Firstly, instead of the sounds, I want to use bulbs, which again, is pretty simple. Now, what I want is that, when two people press the buzzer simultaneously (as in, simultaneously to the human eye), only the bulb connected with the buzzer which was first pressed lights up. This is to avoid confusion when two bulbs light up at the same time. Can anyone help on how to go about this?

Secondly, I was also wondering if you could give me a few ideas for projects in electronics for kids (12-13 years old). Anything which would be interesting and challenging and yet, at the same time, not too difficult.

Thanks a lot.

While this could certainly be designed with a couple of proper relays as well as the needed lights, switch buttons and buzzer, I think it would be a perfect project to introduce that age kids to microprocessors.

The Picaxe series would be a great choice because of low starting costs and ease of learning. No extra hardware programmer need be purchased and the programming software is free for downloading. That of course assumes the kids can have access to a PC to program the chips with this first out switch application. The picaxe price would be lower then a pair of proper relays and the rest of the componets would be the same. For either method don't forget you need to design in low to reset the lights and buzzer off for the next round.

Game Circuits

The first circuit is relative simple, and infinitely (well, almost) expandable, from two to more player positions. The two-wire version makes it easy to use speaker wire and physically locate them where you need..like competing teams, each with their own buttons, on opposite sides of a stage.

I built one, for one of our College's Biology instructors to use for finals-prep secessions. It's been in use around campus (and at another college) for 5 years. :)

Ken

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! That was really helpful. I'll work on these ideas and will hopefully come up with something concrete.

Also, the second question wasn't related to the first one, since I seem to have given that impression. So I'd still be grateful if you people could tell me what projects a beginner in electronics should start off with... a few interesting projects which are not too difficult.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back