Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with BJTs and DC motors

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingsquare

Hi,

I'm attempting to design a motor driver for a small 3v DC motor. I have access to BJTs with a 1.6A collector current rating, and my motor datasheet says it uses 2A when stalled.

My question is how can I design for 2A when I only have transistors capable of passing 1.6A?

Also, as an aside i'm running my circuit on a 5v power rail, what is the best way to take this down to the 3v my motor runs on?

flyingsquare said:
Hi,

I'm attempting to design a motor driver for a small 3v DC motor. I have access to BJTs with a 1.6A collector current rating, and my motor datasheet says it uses 2A when stalled.

My question is how can I design for 2A when I only have transistors capable of passing 1.6A?

Also, as an aside i'm running my circuit on a 5v power rail, what is the best way to take this down to the 3v my motor runs on?

If you insist on using 1.6A rated Bipolars, then you wil have to parallel them by using ballast resistors to share the current. If significant dissipation is involved, they will need to be put on a heatsink too.

If you can spend next to nothing, go buy some MOSFETS that are rated for the job.

You can use PWM in your circuit to run motor at 3V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back