Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with battery power lighting system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bukazoobian

I know I am missing information; however, I thought I would start and see how much I dunno.

I am having to rebuild an emergency lighting system, when the AC cuts it is suppose to start up. The system contains a AL624 power supply, a 12v 30amp switch, there are signs of another piece that is missing... then the lines out to 16 11watt 12volt bulbs. what do i need to complete the system.

The AL624 Power Supply is your battery charger, It takes an AC input from a transformer and is used to maintain a charge on your battery or batteries. Assuming no automatic transfer on mains power loss you shouldn't need much more than what you have. Assuming a battery. Now if there was automatic transfer then you are likely missing a relay.

Ron

You need an AC powered relay. You wire the emergency lights through the normally closed contacts (open when energized) of the relay. Then when the AC quites, the relay will de-energize, closing the normally closed contacts, and turning on the emergency lights.

What would be the best way to put all of this together?
Don't really understand the question. Are you asking how to physically package the circuit?

I'm not sure how to run the batteries through the charger and the relay... Sorry i've been away for over 30 hours now and I realize i am not thinking clearly

Last edited:
The spec on the AL624 is not very detailed but you are not going to charge a gel cell or other lead acid battery with 12.0 vdc.

They need at least 13.2 vdc for float charge. Are the lights on all the time? If so just put a 13.8 vdc switching supply with a Schottky blocking diode on power supply output to battery. Lights connected to battery. Power supply will hold battery at 13.4 vdc and power supply will run the light when AC to power supply is available, otherwise battery will take over.

then can someone tell me how to build such a system?

OK, these units are quite common Generally used to maintain power to alarm circuits and other similar circuits so if mains power fails they continue to provide a DC voltage output from a backup battery. They are frequently called a Power Supply / Charger. Power supply because when mains power is available they output a DC voltage determined by settings (jumpers) on the circuit card and charger as they will charge and maintain a gel cell type battery. If the battery is omitted, they are just a DC power supply.

Your board has input and outputs. You see two terminals labeled AC:

Input:
• Input 16VAC to 24VAC, 20VA to 40VA. (see transformer selection table). You should have a transformer connected to those terminals. Do you have the transformer? DO NOT CONNECT THE AC INPUT TO POWER LINE MAINS or bad things will happen!

Next you have terminals labeled DC + & - which is the DC output depending on jumper selection.

Output:
• Switch selectable 6VDC-12VDC-24VDC.
• 1.2 amp continuous supply current at 6VDC-12VDC.
• 750mA continuous supply current at 24VDC.
• Filtered and electronically regulated output.

Your unit based on what you write is designed for a 12 VDC regulated output. Note here that your DC output common is shared with the battery common.

Next you have the battery terminals. The common for battery is shared with the DC output and the battery + terminal is an individual terminal.

Battery Backup:
• Built-in charger for sealed lead acid or gel type batteries.
• Maximum charge current 300mA.
• Automatic switchover to stand-by battery when AC Fails.
• PTC battery protection.

The battery terminals maintain a charge on the battery. They are designed for a DC output higher than 12 volts. They maintain a charge on the battery (if used) and draw current from the battery when AC mains power fails. You need to understand what you have there.

Here is the problem I see:

I am having to rebuild an emergency lighting system, when the AC cuts it is suppose to start up. The system contains a AL624 power supply, a 12v 30amp switch, there are signs of another piece that is missing... then the lines out to 16 11watt 12volt bulbs. what do i need to complete the system.

What you seem to have is 16 EA. of 11 Watt 12 volts bulbs. This is a total of 176 Watts of 12 Volt power. Roughly with that load you will be drawing about 15 Amps from the system. However, per the data sheet: • 1.2 amp continuous supply current at 6VDC-12VDC. Something isn't right here. Your output is about 14 Watts total.

If I had to guess (and I am) there is a possibility that this unit was used only as a battery charger to maintain a 12 Volt battery. A large battery as a common 12 volt gel cell is typically 12 volts 7.5 amp hour so that battery would only last about 30 min driving all those 12 volt bulbs. Two such batteries in parallel would give about an hour of light.

Problem is that I am not sure exactly how what you have was configured and what you are missing? I have a few such units in my junk box I stripped from an alarm system years ago, including one very similar to yours.

Yes, a relay could be worked into the scheme but it would be nice to know out of what you are looking at is missing.

Ron

okay... with some sleep I have an idea, would it not work if i just use the al624 as a battery charger for my two batteries. Have the battery connected to a 10-15 amp relay have the AC power connected to both the switch and the charger, when the power cuts the batteries are switched from charging to powering the lights... Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
okay... with some sleep I have an idea, would it not work if i just use the al624 as a battery charger for my two batteries. Have the battery connected to a 10-15 amp relay have the AC power connected to both the switch and the charger, when the power cuts the batteries are switched from charging to powering the lights... Am I missing anything?

Yes, I would use a good SPDT automotive relay. Let the unit maintain a charge on the battery.

Ron

Yes, I would use a good SPDT automotive relay. Let the unit maintain a charge on the battery.
I believe he needs an AC relay with the coil powered from the power line so the relay switches when the AC power is lost.

I believe he needs an AC relay with the coil powered from the power line so the relay switches when the AC power is lost.

My bad. I was just looking at his DC current and an automotive relay came to mind. Yes, use an AC line relay and use it to switch the DC.

Ron

Okay... I am not sure if I have it set up right... if this doesn't work I will take it in; I didn't realize it was going to be so complicated... some of the people i work with provided me with the missing parts... I have a General Purpose / Industrial Relays DPDT 15A 12DC PLUG-N, al624, 16.5vac 20amp transformer, 2x wka12-7.5f batteries.

I have the AC power coming from the transformer going to the ac terminals of the al624. I also have the 7&8 of the relay connected to ac terminals. I have the 6 connected to the positive of the batteries, I have the 4 connect to the al624 battery +, and the 2 connected to the line out for the lights. I have the battery neg connected to the other line for the lights and the Al624 dc/battery neg.

When the ac power is present the relay powers, and the batteries charges. however when the ac power is cut the relay switches but the lights do not power.

Is this relay the one you have? Your batteries would be in parallel. Even if that is your relay I can't find the pinout?

Ron

So, I've taken the system around and none of the electronic repair places in my area will touch the system without the wiring diagram. I can't find a wiring diagram and I can't find what I'm doing wrong with my configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back