Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with AVR ACD and DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohitgadhok

Hi i am new to AVRs as i used to use 8051.

I am thinking of using a Atmega324p-20pu to read in music throught its ADC and transmitt the 10bit digital data out over an optical link to be read into another Atmega324p-20pu DAC to be output on a speaker.

Which software package would allow me to programm this?
How would i go around programming and setting up the ADC and DAC in the AVR?

many thanks,
Mohit Gadhok

Firstly, you should only expect 10-bit performance from the AVR's ADC at 10k samples per second, barely a high enough rate for telephone quality voice. And that's mono, not stereo.

Second, the AVR family doesn't have DACs built-in so you will have to add your own. If you have a lot of AVR pins, you could put an R-2R on them, or you could use the PWM.

Also, if you don't already have your ATMega324-20pu parts, beware they are not recommended for new designs. If you're just playing this isn't a problem. For a commercial project is pays to use a part with a future supply.

How would you go about programming this? Well, start on page 240 of the ATMega164P/324P/644P data sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back