Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with AD694 0-10V to 4-20mA V-I Convertor

Status
Not open for further replies.

megaposiedon

Hi guys,

I have an application that required a 4-20mA signal to drive a ItoP convertor that in turn drives a control valve.. I'm using Nation Instrument's Compact Field Point AIO610 which has only voltage output of range 0-10.2 Volts.

Therefore I require a V to I Convertor to converter that converts 0-10V to corresponding 4-20mA. For this I'm using an IC - AD694 (Analog Devices) which is a precision V-I Convertor.

AD694 Datasheet

So, here come the major problem. I used this IC and I'm getting 4mA for 0 volts but when I change the input voltage..The output current remains constant. Following are my connections

Pin 1 and Pin 2 Short
Pin 3 - Voltage IN
Pin 13 - 12V DC Supply
Pin 11 - Current Out
Pin 5 and Pin 9 Short

I followed Figure 2 give in the data sheet for the connections. Though with unexpected output..

What really intrigues me is the Pin 7. Should I supply a 10V to that Pin ?? or short it with Pin 8..

I didnt find any other interfacing circuits on the internet. Can anyone figure out what went wrong with the connections ??

I would be very much thankful

Cheers
Posiedon

hi,
If you connect your AD694 as per this circuit from the datasheet you should get 0V thru 10V for 4 thru 20mA.
Leave the 10V force pin o/c

E.

Attachments

• AAesp01.gif
    AAesp01.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 2,310
Hi ericgibbs

When I leave PIN 7 (10V Force) open, then the output current is showing 0mA. So I thought it as input and applied 10V to that pin and got 4mA (Lame though :p ) current for 0v input but when I change the input voltage (0 to 10v), I observed that the current is still 4mA and its not changing for any change in the input ??

I think we have to short 10v force and 2V sense ??

Please check **broken link removed** and this doc (Its for 2V input and they have shorted pin 7 and 8)

Any suggestions ericgibbs ??

Hi ericgibbs

When I leave PIN 7 (10V Force) open, then the output current is showing 0mA. So I thought it as input and applied 10V to that pin and got 4mA (Lame though :p ) current for 0v input but when I change the input voltage (0 to 10v), I observed that the current is still 4mA and its not changing for any change in the input ??

I think we have to short 10v force and 2V sense ??

Any suggestions ericgibbs ??

Hi,
The two examples you have posted are for a 2V input range.

Please post your circuit diagram.

Look at this clip from the d/s , the Vref is used for user external circuitry.

Attachments

• AAesp02.gif
    AAesp02.gif
    14.5 KB · Views: 520
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back