Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with AD620 instrumentation amplifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Zissou

Hi guys.

Im trying to make a circuit using the AD620 in-amp, but Im getting some unexpected results.
I have attatched a sketch of the circuit. The problem is that with no resistor to adjust gain I would expect the gain to be one, but I measure ~100mV on the output instead of ~1mV.
Any ideas on what is causing problems?
Thanks

Attachments

• utitled.png
    utitled.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 402
Try this: (off the data sheet)

AD620.jpg

Thanks, it is now fixed.
But I have a new problem. Im making a temperature sensor with the help of the AD620 and Im getting, again, some unexpected results. I've attached a skecht of my new setup.
The problem is that when I have no temperature sensors, i.e. a short circuit instead, I expect the voltage difference between + and - to be zero. But on the output I measure 8V which is way higher than expected. Rg is not connected so the gain is 1. How is there an eight voltage difference when the gain is 1? I could sort of understand it is the gain was ~1000 but not this case.
circui.png

Thanks

That's the same problem. The input bias current has to have something to drop across. So even if it's picoamps and a very small resistance, it's a large voltage. I'll use zero, but it's still a big number. V = Ib/0. So, the usual thing to do is to add series resistors to the inverting/non-inverting inputs. It's a tradeoff of noise and accuracy. Higher value resistors mean higher noise and higher accuracy. 100 to 10,000 is OK. Offset/null may be able to get rid of it, but the resistances are safer.

I ran into it too playing with IA's too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back