Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with AC motor schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gentoo

Hey guys,

I have a 1/2 hp motor from a washing machine I'd like to use on my home brew belt sander project. I'm a woodworker, so electronics is foreign to me. I have a 5 wire harness for the motor, a capacitor, and the schematic to accompany it.

My interpretation with a little googling is there is a starting coil and a high speed coil in this motor. I assume power is applied to the starting coil, disengaged, and then power is applied to the high speed coil. If this is true, I have a large 500v (if memory serves)rated toggle switch that should facilitate this.

Could you folks set me straight on my thought process here? What wire goes where and is it possible to start the motor without the use of the starting coil? I'd hate to burn this motor up, so I'm avoiding any trial and error methods.

Thanks for any assistance.

Parts and schematic
Schematic close up

Last edited:
It seems to me that the start switch circuit (momentary) is attached to the motor. If I remember right, it operates from a centrifugal mechanism that pushes a tab on the plastic connector looking thing.
The schematic says you only have high and start, but the start winding is reversable...therefore, the run direction reverses.
Is it beginning to make sense to you now that I have described a few things in English?

ps, it will not start without the start winding being used.

Something controls the reversing switches, R11 and R23. I remember a washing machine that did "Agitate" when the motor was turning "forward" and "pump out" when the motor ran "backwards".
Please check out the things I have mentioned and get back here if it causes more questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back