Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with a robot

Status
Not open for further replies.

magee

ok first off im building a battle bot the first question i have is about is there any way to hook 4 motors up to 1 speed controller or would i need 2 2 motor electric controllers my other question is do i need a gearbox for the motors i heard that u do for each motor or can i just attach the wheels and it would work my last question is if i where to attach this motor Park 370-5400KV 'Inrunner' Brushless Motor would it have enough strength to spin my weapon because it has these stats so idk if it will

Model Number EFLM1005
Voltage 7.2 - 16.8 V
Speed 5400 rpm per V
(almost 65,000 at 12V!)

Current 2-6A nominal, 8A max.
Diameter 0.787" (20mm)
Length 1.18" (30mm)
Weight 1.68oz (47.6g)
Shaft size 2mm

You can hook up more than one >>BRUSHED<< motor two a speed controller. Just connect them in parallel (or series some RC people use to imbalance the power between two motors and get battery life for what they need to do). Parallel usually makes more sense though. THey will all behave the same way however. So if you want steering...you need one controller per side and all the motors on that side are linked to a controller.

Yes, you need a gearbox- that's most of the battle when trying to use a motor in a robot. Motors spin too fast and have too little torque to do most wheel work but have enough power. You need shift the power around and slow it down to a useable speed while turning all the extra speed into torque.

A weapon motor doesn't need to be geared down as much as a wheel does. But it still probably needs to be geared down at least 4x.

One brushless controller to a brushless motor only.

Last edited:
so can i hook a brushless weapon motor up to a regular electric speed controler along my motors because i really want 1 remote i want it so i have a 4 wheel robot all with there own motors how do i get it to tank control like right full up and left full down to do a turn also what gearbox would u recomend and what kind of motor i want to have my robot as fast as possible also im going to mount the brushless weapons motor horizontally so that way i can have a spinning weapon but its going to be a heavy spinning weapon so should i mount one 2 one above and below the motor and is it possable to wire this all to one remote if any1 wants to help me u can leave suggestions here or also what u could do if u wanted to really help me with the design and everything kind of join my team contact me through email.. lance_school_email_dragon@yahoo.com leave me your email if u want to do that

PLEASE use punctuation. It's nearly impossible to read your posts without wanting to slap you.

For tank control with brushed motors, you would hook up all motors on one side to a speed controller, and then hook up all motors on the opposite side to another speed controller. With brushless motors you need brushless speed controller for every brushless motor- no matter what. TO make a robot that can steer you need at least one motor, speed, controller, and a servo (like a tricycle), or you need two motors and two speed controllers. THere is no way around it.

So for the drive wheels use brushed motors even if brushless gets you better performance becase it's just way simpler since you need a lot less speed controllers and the speed controllers are cheaper. For weapon motors brushless are higher performance.

TO wire it to a remote just run the PWM line form each speed controller to a receiver (which you should also have an RC transmitter for). One remote is not the issue here and you shouldn't be worrying about it. More channels just means more expensive transmitter (remote) and receiver.

Last edited:
ok so can u make a list of what i need to make a 4 wheel robot tank style steering with brushed motors for the drive motors and how many speed controlers and is a reciever different than a speed controller because on a video i saw the guy just hooked the wires up to a speed controller.

also i dont get how to mount the wheels and the weapon if im going to have a spinning weapon how to i make it so that the top doesnt spin if i want to mount something above the weapon and is it possable to wire a motor to a weapon like if i want to mount a saw to a spinner wep?

magee said:
ok so can u make a list of what i need to make a 4 wheel robot tank style steering with brushed motors for the drive motors and how many speed controlers and is a reciever different than a speed controller because on a video i saw the guy just hooked the wires up to a speed controller.

also i dont get how to mount the wheels and the weapon if im going to have a spinning weapon how to i make it so that the top doesnt spin if i want to mount something above the weapon and is it possable to wire a motor to a weapon like if i want to mount a saw to a spinner wep?

Would you like fries with that?

Sure you will need:
Bread
cheese
toaster

First toast the bread. Then put the cheese inbetween the bread. Oh you wanted parts for a robot! My bad. Why should we want to help you? Your sentences are all conquaglated together to form a big heart attack of words. Add pictures, a paragraph here and there. Also dont forget him!

-------> . <--------

i was just asking because its a brushless motor and it has 65000 rpm i want to slow it down and torque it up big time like 1000 rpm and aton of torque

It's obviously normal to gear motors down, but those you've listed look rather puny for the job anyway?.

The most common motors used are the Bosch 650W ones, usually massively over driven (36V instead of 12V) to give even more power. Another common motor used are those from electric wheelchairs.

You also need serious motor controllers, 4QD are one of the major players in that game.

For a competitive drive train you should be able to sit on the bot, and tow a car!.

I agree, you want at least a couple of hp if you want your robot to stand a chance.

Bosch motors are good quality and are very reaonably priced for their power level. They're also designed for use in automotive applications which makes pretty tough. You're better off using higher voltage motors as the current will be lower and they'll be more efficient as the brush losses are lower.

I have a datasheet at work for some 24V motors (I can't remember their power rating though) but it's at work, I'll post it when I get back if you like. If you run them off 48V then your robot should fly, use four sealed lead acid batteries and a good quality controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back