Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with a LCD display board

Status
Not open for further replies.

ERELCE

I've made **broken link removed**, now I
want to make a LCD display board to connect to that board.
Which features should that new board have? 6bit or 3 bit connection?
Is R/W needed to access? etc... :confused:

ERELCE said:
I've made **broken link removed**, now I
want to make a LCD display board to connect to that board.
Which features should that new board have? 6bit or 3 bit connection?
Is R/W needed to access? etc... :confused:

most of time, you only want to send data to the LCD, so by default tie R/W to GND to allways be in write mode,

then, you need the RS and the E pins plus the 8 or 4 data lines.

you have to read the datasheet, but in gross, RS is register select, lets you choose whether your' sending characters to be displayed, or adjusting the dusplay (cursor position,line,etc..). A pulse on the E (enable) pin will gate to the LCD what ever data is waiting on the data bus.

if you say some more infos, we can help more.

good luck.

ikalogic said:
most of time, you only want to send data to the LCD, so by default tie R/W to GND to allways be in write mode,

Unless you want maximum speed, you can then use the R/W line to read when the module is ready for more data - this is substantially faster than using crude time delays.

Of course you want Read/Write access. There are lots of cases where you need to do a read-modify-write. I mean you wanna just draw 1-pixel wide vertical line, unless you've otherwise limited what can be displayed, you wanna read the existing pixels, OR this one in, and write it back to avoid clobbering existing graphics in those bytes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back