Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with a chipset programming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

haney

hello
i'm totally new in electronics and i want to create my own circuit with windows CE based chipsets but i don't know how to program an alone chipset !!
i mean how to connect it to my computer so i can use "microsoft active sync" to connect to it. is there any way to do this? since i can not attach an ic directly to my computer !

New to electronics and building a CE computer from scratch is not likely to happen. It takes several very specialized skill sets. You also just can't buy the CE OS from Microsoft it's licensed to manufacturers.
You need to start with the basics.

what?
i cann't buy winCE based chipset? but i thought they are available like any other chipset !
so there is no way to buy ARM or Intel or AMD products? if so then if someone wants to use winCE for his circuit... how is that possible?
by the way i'm a mobile developer with visual studio.

It sounds like you are looking to load Windows CE on a small computer with a chipset that supports CE and then develop and run applications on the system. You start with something along the lines of a CE Developers kit.

A CEPC can be as small as a hand held palm device or a full sized PC. I suggest you start reading a little here to get started. Then move along to Microsoft Windows CE Platform Builder 2.12 Getting Started Guide.

The first link has a wealth of information including how a trial version of the OS can be downloaded. The second link should help considerably with the hardware requirements.

<EDIT> I also agree with Bill (who posted as I slowly typed) that using and writing apps for CE may not be the best way to go. However, if you want to write and develop for CE then review the links I posted. Since you develop mobile apps vith VS maybe CE is a good choice. I don't know. Get friendly with MSDN as there is no shortage of CE code and apps. </EDIT>

Ron

Last edited:
well, truly i was thinking what if i want to create my own circuit sometime in the future...
so should i go for assembly language then? or winCE chipsets can do the job since as i said i'm a VS developer. i saw some guys that do a lot of interesting stuff like creating a "dangel" for satellite receivers or electronic boards for different devices like computers or copiers. for example if you are talented enough then you probably can create a logic board that causes a copier device to interact with another copier device which has a different brand without any computer in between....etc.
anyway! how can you make some money ?

CE is designed with a user interface (pen, screen, keypad) and is clunky as anything.
Linux is not, embedded devices often use Linux. Google embedded linux for ideas.

well, as i said i prefer to use C# to program my softwares. where do you register your programs to make some cash ??

iOS you sell through the Apple App Store, Android I assume through the Android store. As for CE who knows. The only app I ever had on an old CE device I had was Freecell and it was the free one.

ok! thanks but the original question is still unanswered. how do you connect an IC to PC since you should program it before you install it onto board ?

sounds like you cann't connect the JTAG connector directly to IC right ?
so the IC should be installed on the board before you use the connector ?

Not unless the IC is socketed, those big ARM series MCUs don't use sockets. Why would you want to program it out of circuit, that's so 1980s'

i just wanted to know if there is any kind of JTAG that has a board(where you can put the IC) in one side and a socket in other side instead of a JTAG with wire and sockets in both ends(in circuit JTAG) ??
i'm asking this because there are so many ICs that are of type on-board like computers(BIOS is fixed on mother board).

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back