Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with a 555 timer circuit for a noob

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigal_scorpio

Can anyone see why this circuit wouldn't work?

I'm certainly no expert but I thought I had it right, help I'm desperate and pulling my hair out, all both of em ;)

Thanks in advance.....Al

BTW forgot to say that the circuit wors ok without the bulb in place!

Attachments

• Timerlamp.jpg
    Timerlamp.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 452
Last edited:
Ignoring the 555 part, the BC337 will blow because you don't have a resistor feeding it's base.

I suggest you google for "555 tutorial" and select the top hit!.

Your transistor is upside down. It might be destroyed.
It also needs a resistor in series with its base to limit the base current.

I wouldn't use a little BC337 to drive a 2,4V incandescent light bulb. The BC337 has a max peak current rating of only 1A.
An incandescent lightbulb draws 10 times its normal operating current when it is cold. Measure its resistance and calculate it. Then the BC337 will have a current of 2A when it is turned on and it might be destroyed.

I would use a little power transistor to drive the lightbulb.

Attachments

• 555 circuit.PNG
    555 circuit.PNG
    67.5 KB · Views: 424
A big thanks to all who replied to 555 question

bigal_scorpio said:
Can anyone see why this circuit wouldn't work?

I'm certainly no expert but I thought I had it right, help I'm desperate and pulling my hair out, all both of em ;)

Thanks in advance.....Al

BTW forgot to say that the circuit wors ok without the bulb in place!

Got the project up and running now, thanks to all you guys out there, especially Audioguru, for the swift and amazingly good help!

:D

hello dears
i want to make a timer that show time with 6LEDs and after 60second relay will be active. for better clearly see attachment.
for this circuit what can i do for make it?

Attachments

• timer.PNG
    timer.PNG
    8.6 KB · Views: 353
Had the transistor been a pnp, instead of an NPN, it would have been wired correctly, and no resistor would have been needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back