Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with a 1.5 vdc light detection switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

lordun

Help, I am attempting to build a solar powered working lighthouse using solar powered landscape lights for solar panels and lights. I plan to usa a 1.5 vdc geared electric motor to drive the can for the light. I have tried and tried to use the circuit board from one of the landscape lights to operate as a light detection switch for the motor circuit to no avail. My motor circuit consist of 1.5 v solar panel to a blocking diode to a 1.5vdc rechargeable battery to the motor. I would like some help or a schematic on a simple light detection switch to insert in between the battery and motor so I can get motor to run at night and battery recharge in daytime. Sorry to be so long winded. Any help out there? Thanks :?:

hybridmetta said:
Couldn't you simply ask for a light detector/switcher? lol.

Try this. I think it will do the trick.
This is solar powered. Where does the 9V come from?

Google solar powered garden lights, there will be plenty of schematics im sure.

There is a way of using the solar panel as a light detector, so that it charges and no power is given to your circuit when there is light, and when there is no light it stops charging and gives power to your circuit.

I should crack open our little garden lights. I know that its very simple to do that.

You might have to have a pretty big solar panel to turn a motor all night long though.

zachtheterrible said:
There is a way of using the solar panel as a light detector,

This circuit just might work. When is light out the 2N3904 turns on and shorts the base of Q2 to the emitter. When it is dark the 2N3904 turns off and Q2 turns on the motor. Q2 and the value of the resistors will depend upon the current drawn by the motor.
Updated version of schematic with values added and 1N4001 across motor terminals.

Attachments

• motor_control_156.gif
    motor_control_156.gif
    6.3 KB · Views: 532
Using solar panel as a detector switch

You can tell that I am pretty much of a novice at this electronic stuff but. Since I have a few solar powered garden lights around could I use one of them as a switch by substituting a 1.2 vdc relay (if there is such a critter)for the LED in the light to turn on my motot circuit? Thanks

Circuit values

To K7elp60: Your circuit above looks like something I might be able to build. What is Q2 and it's value and the value of the resistors if motor is a 1.5 to 3 vdc, current is .18A to.25A with .70A +/- 15% at max load. Told you that I am a total novice at this. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back