Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help wid computer parts.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

umer007

**broken link removed**

That is the site for the IBM PC730/PC750 System Board diagram. I wz wondering if neone cud refer me to ne site that explains wat all the different components on the diagram do. Or if u can explain plz do.

TY

could u plz tell me about the Modem ring detect connector, Power-on password jumper and L2 Cache size jumpers. I dont understand wat a modem ring detect does, wat a power-on password jumper is for. Plz tell me wt is a power-on password, is that a password u have to type to log in on a pc???i have no clue. What is L2 Cache. Also tell me wt Bus/Core ratio is and why is there a battery in the system board??Doesnt the power come from an outlet or is the battery used for sumthing else.

TY

Modem ring detect - detects when the phone rings. I believe it can be used to turn on a computer that is in hibernation so that it can answer the call.

Power-on password - enables a password that you must supply an answer for as soon as you power on the computer. If you don't answer the password you can't get past POST (power on self test.... which is what you see when it goes through checking hard drives, ram, floppy, cpu etc)

L2 Cache - Processors must have internal memroy to run. From fastest to slowest they are registers, l1 cache, l2 cache. I heard something once that Intel was going to place several megs of l3 cache on their processors.... but thats a waste if you ask me unless you can fully reserve that for the kernal (the part of the OS that is loaded in memory at all times). Outside of the processor you have much slower RAM. Don't get me wrong, RAM is sort of fast, but NO WHERE NEAR as fast as l2, l1, or registers.

Processors have very few (relatively) registers, a small l1 cache (a few kilobytes) and a larger l2 cache (a few hundred kilobytes). The RAM can be several gigs. Notice that as the capacity increases, speeds decrease.

The battery on the board keeps the system clock running so when you unplug your computer you don't have to reset your clock. It also keeps other things saved such as what your hard drive configurations are so it doesn't have to redetect them. The AC plug only powers the big stuff like your monitor and power supply in the PC (which gives power to the processor, hard drives, floopy drives, USB ports etc etc etc and also keeps the system board battery charged)

Bus/Core ratio? Desktop processor cores run at what... 3.3v? Laptops are 1.8v? Don't quote me on that.

Noggin said:
Bus/Core ratio? Desktop processor cores run at what... 3.3v? Laptops are 1.8v? Don't quote me on that.

Bus/core ratio deals with the ratio between the system bus speed and the processor core speed. For example, a 2.4GHz CPU running on a 100MHz bus would be operating at a nominal 24:1 bus/core ratio.

ChrisP said:
Noggin said:

Bus/core ratio deals with the ratio between the system bus speed and the processor core speed. For example, a 2.4GHz CPU running on a 100MHz bus would be operating at a nominal 24:1 bus/core ratio.

Makes perfect sense, thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back