Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help: what's the difference between the input stages of JLH1996 & JLH2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiongyw

Hi, all,

The input stages (particularly the divider, marked in RED box in the diagrams enclosed) of JLH1969 and JLH2000 is a bit different, but I don't know the exact difference between the two, especially the purpose of C1/R3 of JLH2000.

I am wondering that may be the introduce of C1/R3 in JLH2000 is related to an acurrate control of frequency range of the input filter? But I am not very clear on the idea or calculations for the values involved.

Btw, the schematics are taken from https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/09/jlh1969.pdf and https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2009/09/jlh2000.pdf respectively.

Sorry, "JLH1996" in the title should read "JHL1969", but it seems I am not able to edit it once posted.

Thanks for any hints,
/bruin

Attachments

• jlh1969.PNG
    jlh1969.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 504
  • jlh2000.PNG
    jlh2000.PNG
    20.1 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
These are extremely old class-A very hot amplifiers.

In the second one, C1 is a filter for the input bias voltage and R3 is the input resistor.

These are extremely old class-A very hot amplifiers.

In the second one, C1 is a filter for the input bias voltage and R3 is the input resistor.

So can C1 be ommited, given that the power supply is stable (e.g., regulated)?

I was wondering, will C1 has effect in AC analysis, e.g., C1 is to bypass/shortcut RV2 at audio frequencies somehow? And how the value of C1 is determined, etc...

Thanks,
/bruin

C1 is always used even if the supply is regulated.
R2 and the pot are effectively in parallel and are a total of about 43k ohms. The RC network of them being filtered by the 64uF capacitor can be easily calculated.

C1 is always used even if the supply is regulated.
R2 and the pot are effectively in parallel and are a total of about 43k ohms. The RC network of them being filtered by the 64uF capacitor can be easily calculated.

Thanks.
I just DIYed a JLH2000 (using LM338K regulated supply at 30VDC output), and found out that I missed the C1, so the question :)

**broken link removed**

I do not have a case yet, so just assembly them in a paper box at the moment:
**broken link removed**

As sufficient heatsink is not available at the moment, I adjust the quiescent current to less than 0.2A for testing:

**broken link removed**

The speaker shown above is a modified one, but may not match the amplifier (in terms of quality). Need to test the amplifier with a better speaker.

Though it works fine currently, I will try to add C1 to see what's the difference.

Thanks again,
/bruin

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back