Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP! Tough one. Open apartment gate automatically from phone call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carcegen

This one will be fun.. and maybe a slight bit illegal.. which makes it even more fun.

I live in an apartment complex that has a guest parking gate with one of those phone number boxes before you enter. The proceedure is you pull up - push the number of the person you're visiting - ME - and my land line rings inside with the apartment complex's main number shown on the caller ID. I then answer it - PUSH 9 and the gate opens allowing them in. Then they get inside and have to do the same damn thing at the elevator. My phone rings again and I have to answer it - again - and then push 9 again to let them into the elevator. The number that always comes up on my caller ID is the same Main Apartment Comploex number.. hmmmm...

This is NOT by the way a fancy place .. just stupid security.

Now when I have a party and have like 40 people showing up it's absolute hell to let all these people in to get through the system.

What I want is this: On a night when I am expecting people coming over I want to turn on the SYSTEM. Now when my land line RINGS and the caller ID knows it's that same main complex number - it clicks on the phone and buzzes the number 9 TONE automatically - there by opemning the GATE or the elevator entry door. When the party is over - I deactivate it and all goes back to lock down normal mode.

Is this at all possible?

Thanks.. I'll buy the winner a case of coors.

Very possible.
Build and place a caller ID detection circuit in line.
Program it and store the "Main Apartment Complex " phone number in it. Whenever the phone rings, test the Called ID for a match with the stored number; If it matches it automatically answers and sends a DTMF tone for 9, then hangs up.

Do you have any electronics knowledge?
It may take a bit of research, and a lot of development and testing to make it work to your requirements.. people wont do it for less than a case of coors haha.

Something I made ages ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHjs4kHJloc
not really what you need, but uses some basic you need.
I lost all the schematics and info (it was pre-jakeselectronics.net) but i can answer questions you have and tell you about parts i used.

I know where I would start. You have a computer, right? Get a modem that supports caller ID.

I don't know if it would work, it would have to be tested manually. Take a look here: **broken link removed**

There is a short test case (excerpt from above):

I know my modem supports Caller ID and my phone company provides it, but nothing appears on my screen. What's wrong?

Caller ID is a service that you have to pay your phone company to receive. Make sure that Caller ID is included in your monthly statement. If you know you have subscribed to this service, try the following to test the modem.

Here is an example in BASIC to get the CALLER ID from a call:

CLS

OPEN "COM1:9600,N,8,1" FOR RANDOM AS #1
PRINT #1, "+++" ' tell modem "here comes AT commands"
PRINT #1, "AT#CID=1" ' tell modem to allow Caller ID
PRINT #1, "ATS0=3" ' tell modem to answer on third ring

DO
IF NOT EOF(1) THEN
PRINT INPUT$(1,#1)
END IF
LOOP UNTIL LEN(INKEY$)
CLOSE
END

Now tell someone to call you. You should get something similar to the following:

+++
AT#CID=1
ATS0=3

RING

DATE = 0922
TIME = 1350
NMBR = 5555555
NAME = THECALLERSNAME

RING

-------------------

If you know that works, then I would try an "ATA"; which says answer the call. I suppose you would not need this line.

Then I'd try a "ATDT9"; for Dial a 9. and ATH$ for hangup.

Do it all using Hyperterminal, first, If it works your nearly there.

AT+Fclass=8 <<< to put the modem in "Voice mode" may also be needed in the beginning.

Then if you wanted to get really fancy: https://forums.ni.com/t5/Instrument...t-DTMF-tones-via-modem-in-Labview/td-p/650751 you could feed the telephone line into a sound card and detect the DTMF frequency and use a different 4 tone password for your part nights. This way you could keep people from crashing the party.

Last edited:
You could just ask everyone to come at the same time...

Personally I wouldn't think it worthwhile trying to make a gadget to do this as it might require a lot of fiddling (& maybe some learning). So, if you have a computer with a modem capable of recognising caller ID on your complex's phone system, you should be able to get the PC modem to check the caller ID, pick up the phone and dial the '9'. It's the simplest way I can think of.

EDIT: Ok... too late.

Last edited:
You could use a modifyed "teleblocker" telemarketing blocker. Andy

Pay the neighbours kid in icreams to sit and answer the phone all night when you have a party.

Yes i think answering the phone 80 times on a party night would drive me crazy to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back