Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to stop burning compoents

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlicRic

Hi,
I have just built a small tranistor radio, im about to mount it into a box but in the handling five wire have come off, il obviously have to resloder them but i have an issue, it has a small IC, the type that looks like a transistor but is different, and a few over semiconductors, the PCB is very small only about 1'' by 3'' and im worried that in reslodering im going to burn these components out, Im not sure wheater a heat sink clamp will be enough to stop it, I usually use a IC socket but seeing as this was transistor like I didnt bother, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks SlicRic

Last edited:
As long as you are careful when you solder and you do not normally burn the copper tracks on the board, the other components should not have enough time to heat up.

Apply heat gently and for a short amount of time when soldering the wires and you should be fine.

That is true, however, this piece is very small, i will have to remove joints and then replace them, as i said in the original post i have never handled an IC like this, i do not no its specs

Take a look at this page: EPE "Basic Soldering Guide"

The section on "desoldering methods" should help you. Desoldering braid is very useful and works very well.

That is true, however, this piece is very small, i will have to remove joints and then replace them, as i said in the original post i have never handled an IC like this, i do not no its specs

I think you are talking about an SMD component. EPE January 2009 had a very nice article on SMD soldering and desoldering.If you have access to it then it would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back