Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to identify Capasitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigbeal

This board has come out of my Peavey 2XT speaker cab. Seems the capacitors have gone in both speakers and so need replacing but i can find these capacitors anywhere. Can anyone here understand the codes on them and tell me which ones i need to buy (uk) ??

Codes :

XG2I
Mexico
x60
x030

Regards

Craig

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I think it is a resetable fuse and not a capacitor

I like the light bulb as a compressor. It would make music have jerky levels. Speech would have a loud attack at the beginning of each syllable then fade away until the next syllable.

audioguru said:
I like the light bulb as a compressor. It would make music have jerky levels. Speech would have a loud attack at the beginning of each syllable then fade away until the next syllable.

It's presumably there only to protect the tweeter?, in case of too much power it drops the level to the tweeter - in normal use it will have no effect, and even in overload it won't have that much. It's a common (and cheap) protection system.

Hope the MOV did its job, but I wonder if what took it out might still be a problem when replaced.

If the level is turned up high enough to cause flickering of the light bulb then the sound from the speaker will also flicker.

mramos1 said:
Hope the MOV did its job, but I wonder if what took it out might still be a problem when replaced.

I fear that the MOV is improperly wired. there has to be additional protection to safeguard the board- leave alone the MOV. Had the designer shifted the MOV on to a mechanical screw type mounting the board could have been saved from burning

Now Craigbeal has to somehow salvage it, carving out the burnt portion, manually locating the new MOV elsewhere, and hand wiring it.

Last edited:
I would think you could remove the MOV, make sure the traces are good and see if it still works. If so, replace the MOV if you can find out its voltage.

I have this same problem with this same exact board...I'm wondering if you ever found a suitable replacement for the MOV

I doubt it's a MOV, it's more likely to be a PTC.

Nigel is correct that the bulb is there to protect the tweeter.

I think the last guy (Hero999) is right - we had the same issue on our SP2G Mains Speaker, and it appears as though this is really a PTC Resettable Fuse, rated at 60V max, and 0.30A current hold. Most online electronics joints have them (Digi-Key, NTE, etc). Here's LittelFuses's version (LittelFuse PN: 60R030XU) from Digi-Key: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=F2004-ND And the NTE part number is NTE16004−ECG Link to the NTE Fuse Catalog: http://www.nteinc.com/fuses/pdf/fuse_catalog.pdf These are posted for convenience - please use a cross reference search from most online stores and you should find what you need!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back