Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help setting up Adjustable Low-Voltage Trigger 12V Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

lex*toy

I need help trying to figure out the best way to setup an "on-the-fly" adjustable voltage trigger (sensitive down to .02V) 12V relay.

I have setup many 12v trigger relays including low voltage trigger setups (sensitive .2V) , but never one that had to be adjustable or as sensitive.

For those of you wondering, I have to tap into a car TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) to handle other car events based on pedal position.

Specifically, a valve in the exhaust that would open and closed depending on TPS voltages.

Any relay or circuit used would be diode isolated to prevent feedback back into the car system.

I need help with finding the easiest way to implement this. Please remember that the low-voltage trigger will have to be adjustable on the fly and is a constant voltage.

EDIT: This might be a 2 part problem because:

1) 12V Triggered Valve would open with TPS voltage greater than set adjustable threshold
2) 12V Triggered Valve would close with TPS voltage less than set adjustable threshold.

Last edited:
You could use a circuit commonly known as a window comparator, having adjustable thresholds. If you are going to build one with opamps, being that your lower threshold is so close to ground, I would consider comparators using a +/- supply voltage derived from the +12 single supply. Each threshold could be set with 10-turn pots acting as voltage dividers, or with digital pots and pushbuttons to adjust the threshold. You could use single supply "rail-to-rail" comparators too, but check the specs carefully due to that lower voltage threshold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back