Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required with LED backlight dimmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pizzzzed

Hi, I'm new to the forum and have an application that I need help with. I hope someone out there may be able to help me out!

I am trying to replace the faulty fluorescent backlight in a vehicle touch screen control panel with LED's.

I have suceeded using 12v but this it at one brightness level and is a little overpowering at night time. The touch screen has a dimmer control which gives an output between 3-5vdc, I have another LED backlight that works perfectly on the bench when the voltage is adjusted between this range. When hooked upto the original control the 3-5v being a signal voltage is dragged down to 3v so the backlight is at the dimmest level.

What I need is a variable regulator so that I can use a fused 12v supply as the input voltage and vary the output between 3-5v using the 3-5v signal from the controller, this way there would be enough power to drive the LED's using the original touch screen control. My electronics is basic (too many years passed since I did my HNC!) and I'm sure I could get it to work using an additional knob on the dash but really want to use the original control for obvious reasons. The LED backlight is far superior to the original as it gives a very even display wheras the fluorescent lamps give brighter spots in certain areas of the screen, but the original is 19 years old!

Hopefully I have given enough detail and someone will be able to help in my plight, thanks in antisipation.......

How much current does the LED backlight draw?

Edit:
You could use a low-offset dual transistor emitter follower driven by the control voltage such as shown below. The value of R1 is determined by the gain of Q1 and the amount of backlight current. It would be R1 = (12-5) ÷ (Iled/β) where Iled is the maximum backlight current and β is the minimum current gain of Q1.
Low Offset Follower.gif.

Last edited:
hi,
Look at the LM317 voltage regulator, the datasheet has circuits.
More specifically, if you connect the LM317 sense terminal to the dimmer control output, the 317 output will be about 1.2V higher than the control voltage, giving an output of approximately 4.2V to 6.2V for a 3 to 5V control voltage. You could put a resistor in series with the backlight to reduce the backlight current, if needed.

Eric & Crutscrow,

Wow thanks for the help, the LED backlight power consumption is 180mA, if I were to use a LM317 what value resistor (R1) would I require?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back