Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help reading a resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jammin0

Anyone able to tell me definitively what value resistor this is? To me it looks like, Orange-Blue-Yellow-Yellow but that doesn't make much sense.

Yellow-Yellow-Blue-Red is a 44m Ohm but I can't find those online like this one. I think it's failed but my multimeter reads 1.2 when set on the 200m setting.
IMG_20191030_193755.jpg

I agree with Mike, 360K.

The yellow band could be temperature coefficient.
(If so, no more than 25 parts per million, per degree K. Pretty irrelevant in general).

Thanks for the replies so far. The yellow tolerance is what's throwing me on this one too. It is on a control board for a dishwasher in line with some other components for a simple float switch.

Switch is supposed to be closed until it fills with water and the opens telling a solenoid valve to stop filling. When I run diagnostics, it says that the switch is open even though it tests closed all the way back to the PCB.

Maybe temperature is a big factor because of high heat environment? Makes sense to me that if the resistor failed by becoming more resistant it could stop the computer from seeing the closed state of the switch and then throw that error.

I think I'll throw a 360k in there and run it long enough to see if it clears the error.

Thanks for the replies so far. The yellow tolerance is what's throwing me on this one too. It is on a control board for a dishwasher in line with some other components for a simple float switch.

Switch is supposed to be closed until it fills with water and the opens telling a solenoid valve to stop filling. When I run diagnostics, it says that the switch is open even though it tests closed all the way back to the PCB.

Maybe temperature is a big factor because of high heat environment? Makes sense to me that if the resistor failed by becoming more resistant it could stop the computer from seeing the closed state of the switch and then throw that error.

I think I'll throw a 360k in there and run it long enough to see if it clears the error.

Stick your meter across it, and see what it reads - disconnect one end if you have to.

However, I suspect you're wasting your time, the chances of that resistor been faulty are so close to zero that it's not worth even checking.

Usually, if a resistor has failed, it's due to overheating and is obvious, and it's rather strange with the yellow band at the end.

Okay, if I'll following correctly, I can't just measure the resistor while connected in the circuit because the other components will draw a current and screw up my values?

That's the only reason I was even thinking it was bad, because it was giving me such a strange and high value.

Okay, if I'll following correctly, I can't just measure the resistor while connected in the circuit because the other components will draw a current and screw up my values?

Possibly not, it depends entirely on the exact circuit

That's the only reason I was even thinking it was bad, because it was giving me such a strange and high value.

I'm can't make head nor tail of your readings or ranges?, what is 200m? (other than 200 metres deep in the sea).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back