Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Please!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhayes

Hi all,

I'm new to this PIC game, I have a simple application that only requires a single output and single input. I have been playing with MPLAB for the last few days and amazingly got my program to work in the simulator!! I want to use the PIC10F204 for my project, but can't seem to find what I need to program an actual device. The PicKit2 looks like it'll do the job, but will it plug straight into the on-board socket replacing the supplied PIC16F690, or do I need some sort of adapter. TIA

Thanks Skyhawk. Can you be a bit more specific tho? Do I just need to match up the power and I/O pins on the 16F690 with the 10F204 using a couple of IC sockets and flying leads?

The PK2 has a 6-pin female header out of which 5 pins are relevant for programming: Vpp,Vdd,Gnd,PGD,PGC. These need to be routed to the proper pins on the 10F204. It can be done in a number of ways.

For 10F PICs in the 8-pin DIP package I mounted a 5pin male header and an 8-pin DIP socket on a piece of vector board and connected the the corresponding pins.

Ok, got it now., I was thinking of an adapter for the starter kit demo board socket, but of course this can be completly bypassed/ignored. Many thanks.

look up in-circuit system programming - ICSP. you will need a header that connects to the program clock, program data, mclr, Vcc and GND pins on the PIC. These connect to the similarly named pins on the PicKit2. If you are experimenting and tweaking, I'd recommend you get a slightly larger PIC so you can keep your PicKit2 hooked up all the time. It makes for faster turn around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back