Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on single 7 segment display

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakeke

I'm having trouble finding the datasheet of common cathode & anode of single 7 segment display..the part numbers indicated beside those 2 are anode-YL501HOA , cathode-YL0561YGC ...

can't find them in the net even if interchanging the characters..
still trying to look for the correct combination...maybe the manufacturer's marked it wrong, not sure...& there's no indication of who the manufacturer is...

thanks for anyone who can help...

pardon? didn't understand what you mean...

Allright try a 9v battery and a 1K resistor. Place across any two pins on the display and see if you light a segment. If not reverse the leads and try again. Once you find a lit LED only move one wire to another pin or two. If it doesn't light then try the other lead. Make a chart of which pin pairs light which segment. Easy stuff.

thanks for the info...but we're not just after the pin assignment...we're also looking for the input current, voltage, etc..@ max. & optimal ratings...
I just looked for the nearest equivalent of our component in terms of appearance, dimensions & a little part of the "part #" combination of characters...
so far so good...
thanks anyway ...

Where did you get it? Do you have a picture? Do you know the Manufacture?

Hi,

blueroomelectronics have explained all and take it as a most usefull information. This method will cover just about all of 7 segment displays there are. You do not really need anything else for a practical approach and execution of a design you may have in mind.

There is only one exception that I know of that would not work as advertised by blueroomelectronics. It is a case of displays that incorporate internal digital circuitry, namely the - "latch". What happens here is, that the 4 bits digital input is entered to the register inside the display and it is latched, then the display itself converts the latched 4 bit information, decodes it and drives all respective segments as required.

Just out of curiosity - try to google "TIL311 datasheet" to understand what I mean.

In case of a display like TIL311, you do not have the external access to the individual 7 segments but it will be easy to find out this particular case. It is because you will not be able to detect these 7 segments, however you will detct the decimal "dot" in front or after the display's digit (or both of them as the case may be).

For this reason (just in case your display was one of those like TL311), I would also suggest for you to use for testing not a 9V supply source but 5V and to half the value of the resistor in series with the battery (eg. from 1k to 560Ω).

Any "normal" 7 segment display will behave all the same as blueroomelectronics suggested, but in case of display like TL311, you will ensure that 9V will not damage the TTL circuitry (should the chip be of that particular construction) when poking around the pins at random. It appears that they may withstand the 9V/1k test but it is better to be sure than sorry and avoid the possible damage.

As for the datasheet - again, you do not need it for experimental and practical reasons, except if the display is of a different contruction (like TL311 is), which is very unlikely.

Regards,

xanadunow

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info! btw, Merry Xmas :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back