Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help on school project diode and lamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfj

hi, my teacher has set me this project which seems really simple but I'm not sure there isnt a trap.
He wants me to makea circuit which lights a diode when its working. so for example when you turn your car headlights on, this diode should come on,but if the bulb is blown, then the diode doesnt come on.
i had thought of putting the diode and bulb in series but there's not enough current and now i'm thinking of using a relay to light the led circuit but im worried that current going through the control circuit will be too much.
Does anyone have a simple solution to this
help

hi, my teacher has set me this project which seems really simple but I'm not sure there isnt a trap.
He wants me to makea circuit which lights a diode when its working. so for example when you turn your car headlights on, this diode should come on,but if the bulb is blown, then the diode doesnt come on.
i had thought of putting the diode and bulb in series but there's not enough current and now i'm thinking of using a relay to light the led circuit but im worried that current going through the control circuit will be too much.
Does anyone have a simple solution to this
help

hi,
If this for a school demonstration and not a 'real' car headlight you could use a small lamp.
eg: say you have a 9V battery , a RED led [which has a voltage drop of about 2V], use a 6V cycle lamp bulb that requires less than 25mA current.
Connect the LED and lamp in series.

Do you follow.?:)

Look at this chart to select the best LED colour

Attachments

• LEDcolours.gif
    LEDcolours.gif
    12.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
thanks eric,
to be honest its for my son school project here in france.........and my electronic knowledge is kinda basic so i cant help him as i would like to.
the example of the car headlights is what his teacher gave him, so i think that must be what he's looking for.
but i have no idea of how to go about this so any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks eric,
to be honest its for my son school project here in france.........and my electronic knowledge is kinda basic so i cant help him as i would like to.
the example of the car headlights is what his teacher gave him, so i think that must be what he's looking for.
but i have no idea of how to go about this so any help would be greatly appreciated

hi Dad.:)
If its a real car lamp, say a sidelight 12V at about 6Watts, [thats about 0.5Amp] you
could use a series power resistor, transistor, resistor and LED for a demo.

I guess you need a circuit diagram.?

EDIT:
Look at this option, suitable for a demo.
NOTE:
If you plan to use a different wattage lamp the 2R resistor needs to be changed, let me know.

Attachments

• Lamp1.gif
    Lamp1.gif
    24.4 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
thanks eric,
its all completely beyond me; i'll pass it on and see what happens.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back