Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on building a robot that can climb out of a box

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilusionx

In school, i got to build a mindstorm robot that can climb out of the lego mindstorm box. We are allowed to use up to 3 motors. The box is the green one where all the lego parts are placed. try to keep it simple and i need help immediately.

Right now, I'm not stay at my laptop, I cannot give you the links. But you can imagine about a rectangle structure of wheels. like this:

1) The rectangle of 4 middle wheels will change as the 3 top pictures

2) The front wheels will move up by the friction

3) It can climb up and go down

4) it has 1 front wheel, 1 back wheel and 4 middles wheels. Each side has 2 wheels connected with each other by a movable rectangle structure.

Attachments

• untitled_184.gif
    untitled_184.gif
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,186
What Falleafd proposes is a very cool robot designed at a university if I am not wrong. IT is called "the shrimp" and it was designed as an all terrain bot.

Although a nice idea it will not work for this situation. He/she has a limit of 3 motors (as oposed to a motor in each wheel of the shrimp). He/She has to make it out of lego and not machined parts. And he has to climb out of a box and not climb stairs.

Ivancho

With 3 motor, you can make your robot 3 dof.

Oki, and it can climb up but you have to know the height of the stairs.

This is my suggestion:

You only need M1 to control the height of 4 front wheels and 2 others to run the backs.

However, this structure is very difficult to build, because of the gravity center of the robot. So that, you have to change to use wheels 3 and wheel 1 to do this. However, you also to control the height of wheel2,4. That is you need one more motor. And you only remain 1 motor to run your robot. And your robot only can go forward, it cannot turn.

Attachments

• untitled_543.gif
    untitled_543.gif
    3.2 KB · Views: 1,162
  • 2_122.gif
    2_122.gif
    4 KB · Views: 1,149
How do you get to play with lego mindstorm ????
In what class/subject is that???
You Americans have all the fun....... :cry:

Normally, a robot structure is built, and they use lego as a plastic, light, small component to build the robot, and it has some standard to do so. I'm in Vietnam, I don't play with lego robot, but once, I play with my younger brother with his lego, and I found lego has many component that we may use identically as mechanical components.

I tried to build a small arm to lift up a tiny package, and feel funny. The structure i posted is not my lego robot, it's mechanical. However, I know, with lego stuff, we can do it.

For example, we use a light wire, to pull up something with a small motor. I think tiny stepper is suitable for lego (I don't have much experience on lego), because it may give you a strong torque and can hold on everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back