Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on a Smart Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spitzer

Hi there!!

I'm building a smart kit that i bought from te internet, but i have one doubt. On the instructions are a small text that says: "Warning - IF D1,D2 (Varicap) are BB105 type you must solder them to the solder side of the PCB". Then i have a list whith the components, and in front of D1 and D2 are : "BB105 or BB119 Varicap".

So, i don't know in whicth side of the PCB i must solder de Varicaps. On the Varicaps i don't have nothing, like numbers or letters.

Thanks and regards

David Marques

Hi there!!

I'm building a smart kit that i bought from te internet, but i have one doubt. On the instructions are a small text that says: "Warning - IF D1,D2 (Varicap) are BB105 type you must solder them to the solder side of the PCB". Then i have a list whith the components, and in front of D1 and D2 are : "BB105 or BB119 Varicap".

So, i don't know in whicth side of the PCB i must solder de Varicaps. On the Varicaps i don't have nothing, like numbers or letters.

Thanks and regards

David Marques

hi,:)
Does it look like this type.? or the second one...

Attachments

• esp03 Sep. 02.gif
    esp03 Sep. 02.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 188
  • esp04 Sep. 02.gif
    esp04 Sep. 02.gif
    5.5 KB · Views: 201
Last edited:
My varicap is like the firts one , a BB105. Thanks a lot :)

But now I have another question, if you don't mind. On the same project, the smart kit, i have an integrated circuit (TBA810S) on the picture :**broken link removed**.

But i don't know what is the purpose of the two metal tips (marked of red). And on the solder side of the PCB are two lines of holes : **broken link removed**

I need to sold something there? Or i must sold just the 12 pins of the integrated circuit?

Soory for my english.

Thanks

David Marques

My varicap is like the firts one , a BB105. Thanks a lot :)

But now I have another question, if you don't mind. On the same project, the smart kit, i have an integrated circuit (TBA810S) on the picture :**broken link removed**.

But i don't know what is the purpose of the two metal tips (marked of red). And on the solder side of the PCB are two lines of holes : **broken link removed**

I need to sold something there? Or i must sold just the 12 pins of the integrated circuit?

Soory for my english.

Thanks

David Marques
hi,
The varicap must be mounted on the copper side of the pcb as per the instructions.

Those metal flaps are heatsinks which are to be soldered to the pads with holes. They keep the ic cool.

Do you follow OK.:)

You may have to bend them a little so they make contact with pcb, before soldering.

CAUTION: solder them quickly so as not to burn the ic.!

Attachments

• esp06 Sep. 02.gif
    esp06 Sep. 02.gif
    40.5 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Those metal flaps are heatsinks which are to be soldered to the pads with holes. They keep the ic cool.

Do you follow OK.:)

You may have to bend them a little so they make contact with pcb, before soldering.

I think you've missed a move out Eric, he needs to cut a slot across the row of holes drilled for the heatsink first, and push the tabs through the slots.

Presumably it explains this in the instructions?.

The instructions don't show anything about this. So i'am a little confused how i'll sold the IC. I must cut a slot for heatsink like Nigel said?

They should go through slots in the PCB because the foil on the bottom forms the heatsink for the chip. Why the Kit maker didn't do this for you, I don't know. I see no foil to solder to on the top of the PCB anyway. Here is a picture from the datasheet. Notice the slots in the PCB. I assume there was no additional heatsink in the kit. That should be OK, you just won't get as much power out of it:
tba810s-png.22070

Attachments

• TBA810S.PNG
    TBA810S.PNG
    22 KB · Views: 835
I think you've missed a move out Eric, he needs to cut a slot across the row of holes drilled for the heatsink first, and push the tabs through the slots.

Presumably it explains this in the instructions?.

hi,
You are correct, I would have thought the assembly instructions that came with that kit
should have described it in better detail.
Likewise with the two types of varicap, no ID on the component bags

A row of 40mm holes that the builder has to open up into a slot is a bit of a task for anyone who dosnt have the necessary tools.
It should have done during routing of the pcbs .

Last edited:
hi,
You are correct, I would have thought the assembly instructions that came with that kit
should have described it in better detail.
Likewise with the two types of varicap, no ID on the component bags

Pretty naff kit really! :D

Luckily the OP posted some VERY nice photos which made it clear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back